Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland vs. G&L vs. Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yossarian, Jul 25, 2004.

What would fit my purposes best?

Poll closed Aug 1, 2004.
  1. Lakland Skyline 44-01

33 vote(s)
    23.2%
  2. G&L Tribute L-2000

35 vote(s)
    24.6%
  3. Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass

45 vote(s)
    31.7%
  4. Other: please specify!

31 vote(s)
    21.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I'm looking to get a new bass, possibly. It wouldn't be for quite some time, but I like to know well ahead of time what I want. I'm thinking about either a Lakland Skyline 44-01, a G&L Tribute L-2000, or a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass.

I play with a pick, in some kind of punk/hardcore kind of band. It's pretty fast stuff, with bass solos now and then (think Rancid - Axiom). So basically I'm looking for a fast neck, easy to play. I was entranced by the Lakland because of the easy access to the high frets, and I hear the Geddy Lee jazz has one of the easiest playing necks you'll find... but it's prone to warp and twist? I don't know how to feel. Opinions!

And feel free to mention something else, if you think something else would fit my preferences.

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I like the L-2000

theres one with F holes in in a store near where i live. Im gassing :)

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you are talking new basses, the Tribute L-2000 is the best deal.

4. d_money

d_money

Jun 13, 2004
    From My experience of testing many basses I would say peavey cirrus hands down has the fastest neck that I have ever played

5. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Judging from the price range of the basses you're considering, wouldn't the Lakland 44-02 be an option also? Or do you like the 44-01 better?

6. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I currently own a 44-01 and '81 L-2000e.

Both are amazing basses and will never leave my side.
    For the price of a 44-01, you can get a used American L-2000. I won't choose between those two, they're both fantastic instruments with top-notch build quality, sonic versatility, and playability.

7. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    yeah sorry, forgot to mention, I was talking about new. If I could get one used in such a way that I could play it first I would, but I'm a bit wary about buying used... I had an ebay incident.

and Lockout, it appears to me that the 44-02 is a good $400 more than the 44-01. Unless I'm missing something, I dont know.

between the 44-01 and the tribute L-2000, which has the faster neck? or is there not much difference?

8. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    the G&L have P bass style necks.......so if a fatter neck isnt for you, go with the lakland.

personaly, i love the sound of G&Ls, more on the deep tone side.

9. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Oh nevermind, I just realized you were talking about the Tribute L-2000, not the American. I'm stupid. ;)

10. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    Hehe, it happens to the best of us

P-bass style neck... not for me. So let's rule out the G&L.

How about between the Lakland 44-01 and the Geddy Lee Jazz? Which has the faster neck? The Geddy Lee warped neck talk scares me. How much of an issue is that?

11. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Other basses you might want to consider are the Ibanez SRX series basses and the Dean Edge Hammer. I've recently played these basses at a local music store, and both, IMO, seem to fit what you're looking for...

12. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    G&L is deff a bit bigger neck.

check out the Dean Edge series, i have a 2000ish Q4 custom, and its awsome, super fast neck.

geddy lee is also a P style neck, if i remember right.

13. tormato

tormato

May 25, 2004
    the geddy lee necks are J style, and super fast. so incredibly comfortable. and i dont know what this is about a 'warped neck' i never heard of it. i've had mine for over a year and it's fine.

14. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Have a look for a fender mexican P-Special these are p body with a a pj setup and a j neck I've loved every single one i've played. This sort of thing will give you that fast neck your after but a more punk and thunp tone due to the P pickup.

I personally have noticed a lot of punk pick players using a P.

But don't dismiss the G&L just yet, try one first. Because i've never thought of the neck as overly chunky, and the tone is to die for, everything you could ever want.

Hope this helps

15. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    No Tribute G&L's are NOT nice as Lakland Skylines... I do like the Geddy Fenders, tho. That depends, as the pre on the Skyline is alot more flexible, than the Jazz.

16. GGG

GGG

Jul 1, 2004
    why not get a new L2000? how much is it? I only know
    SB2 and JB2 is cheap..

how much is L2000 and L1000?

17. Geddy Lee Jazz all the way. Like any line of basses, theres bound to be a few that have issues by the time they make it to the consumer, some of that has to do with how these retailers unpack and setup the instruments (Guitar Center here in Denver just throws them straight on the wall with NO setup or Q.C. inspection) and how they are cared for while they hang around in inventory. I recently "stole" my Ibanez 5 string from them because the strings were flat against the fretboard the ENTIRE length of the neck. I told them I "thought" I could fix it and that I'd buy it at cost...they went for it, I took it home..adjusted the truss rod to where it shouldve been all along, tuned her up, set the action/intonation and she's been a fine bass ever since...hahaha!

Go with Geddy...you wont regret it.

18. I don't know much about the Tribute. But I do own a 44-01 and am very pleased with it. For about 800 dollars or so you can get active electronics, bartonlini soap bar pickups, high quality build, and the neck is plenty fast. Oh yeah. it is sexy to so you don't have to be. boo-yah! The bass seems meant more for the higher end sound used in many punk recordings but has a decent low end to, especially if you know how to manipulate the amp and you picking technique. For the money its one of the best basses you can buy.

19. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    Fender aerodyne jazz

PJ pickup combo, fast J style neck, Super cool black w/ matching headstock. Sounds like it's just right for ya. Oh ya, I think Duff from Velevt Revolver plays one.