1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Late gig report: Hyperstar @ Sala Rossa, October 27th, 2017

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Frank77, Nov 14, 2017 at 11:50 AM.

1. This one is a little late, mostly because I thought I'd have more to offer in terms of media...but it turns out the video footage taken during that night is being used for a music video, so the whole thing will take a little longer to edit than I was willing to wait. So here's the "pictures only" version of our Halloween gig report.

We had done a lot of promo in the months leading to this Halloween party, and it worked out pretty good. We were a little stressed out because two weeks prior to the show, we had only sold 11 tickets (yikes!), but sales sort of exploded the week before the show, and a lot more bought tickets at the door. Total attendance was 167 people...not too shabby for a relatively unknown band playing mostly originals!

It was a Halloween party, with a twist: People were invited to take part in a "Soul Train" (like on the old TV show). We used bright red tape to make lines on the dance floor, and at various times during the show our band leader (and MC) would ring a bell to signal couples to start the soul train while we were playing. The dancers were filmed and this will be part of our music video. I didn't think people would participate...boy was I wrong. Some dancers were incredibly talented, there was so much going on at times that I had a hard time focusing on my job!

The venue is called "La Sala Rossa", it's a nice mid-sized venue (max capacity about 200-250, I'd say) with a cozy vibe. A few years ago, I was there to see Snarky Puppy and the Funky Knuckles, so I couldn't help but think to myself "That's it, you're playing a 'real' venue now!"

For the first time ever, we had an actual dressing room...with real wall hangers on a real wall! Also, chairs and a mini-fridge! Bonus: Planks.

Soundchecking.

My setup. I have never had so much room!

Crappy cell-phone shot from behind the curtain before starting our set. People are actually showing up...yay!

Sorry, no food pictures...but for the sake of accurate reporting, we ordered a ton of dumplings an hour before showtime from a spot just around the corner from the venue that our sax player, Marc, knew about. It was delish.

Our band leader/keyboardist/MC Fabien, with me in the background.

Our drummer Mike was a happy camper: His first gig with his brand new drum kit.

Our singer Alex was in great shape vocally and looked fantastic!

Now on to our world famous horn section, The Guilty Feet.

Clément on trombone (he always gets the coolest shots).

Marc and Olivier on sax and trumpet, respectively.

Our guitarist JD, in the center (we picked matching jackets).

Alex's brother Clerel (who has a band of his own) joined us on stage for our rendition of "Thriller".

In no particular order, some pics of our extremely fun crowd:

The dude in the grey suit pulled some amazing moves all night.

We even had some folks from Riverdale High.

It was an amazing night. Definitely the most fun I've ever had on a gig, the crowd was so energetic I couldn't believe it.

That's it! See you next time!

PS: Sorry for the super-long and annoying media file names, I had to download from our band's facebook page and didn't bother renaming.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 7:49 PM
    Fat Freddy, OCDave, 74hc and 35 others like this.
  2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Terrific! What a thrill to have a room full of people enjoying your music. Nice work. Wow, that crowd looked like they had a ton of fun.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

3. Thanks for your kind words, Cliff!

It was unbelievable. You know the dance move where someone just kind of "ondulates" on the floor by bouncing forward on his/her belly? A girl pulled that. All night, some folks were pulling jaw-droppingly impressive moves like that. Crazy. I can't wait for the video to be done.

4. Howdy Frank, looks like a great gig-tons of fun it seems. I like it when the audience really gets in to the party, makes for a much better time. Nice report.

McG, Sore Thumb and Frank77 like this.
  5. Greatness happened.

McG, BassCliff and Frank77 like this.
  6. Great looking report. Hope the video is everything you want it to be. Make sure to post a link to it when it's done. I'd love to see it.

Oddly, McG and Frank77 like this.
  7. Thanks, will do. :thumbsup:

8. 3orangewhips

3orangewhips

Nov 6, 2017
    Thriller, eh? That's a bold choice. Those choral breakdowns must be hard to reproduce. We stick to Billie Jean.

/respect!

pjbassist and Frank77 like this.
  9. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Great pics., thanks for sharing!

Frank77 likes this.
  10. To be fair, "Thriller" was probably our shakiest tune (and most recent addition to our set list) but since this was a Halloween party we kinda HAD to do it. Alex & Clerel pulled it off very nicely though, and the crowd loved it.

Funny you mention "Billie Jean" : We play a slowed-down version of this tune, mashed-up with the "James Bond" theme. We dirty it up some more with sexy trombone fills played with a mute. The crowd lose their s***t when they figure out what's happening.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 8:03 PM
  11. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    What a cool gig! Great pics. Be sure to share the video when it's done.

dbase and Frank77 like this.
  12. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Looks like you all had a great time...fantastic to see an audience clearly having fun.

I can't wait to see the video.

13. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

Oct 4, 2011
    Surrey, BC
    That looked like a bunch of fun. Great gig report - looking forward to seeing the video when it is done.

14. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    Excellent gig! Blast from my past...

Mark

15. That's great that you included a "Soul Train Gauntlet" into the whole concept of the show. I think the funnest band I ever played with was a Disco tribute group in the late 90's. That music seems to guarantee mass audience participation. :thumbsup:

dbase, HolmeBass and Frank77 like this.
  16. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I'm moving to Montreal !

17. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Great looking gig .. and the dancing... what kind of music were you playing?

Frank77 likes this.
  18. Funk / R&B / Disco. The covers we play include stuff from Jamiroquai, James Brown, Michael Jackson, things like that. Our originals are along the same lines. We have some instrumentals that are more like acid jazz, but we kept them out of our set lists for that night, we focused on the funk / disco flavour for the purpose of the soul train.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 6:38 AM
    dbase likes this.
  19. I love it here. This city is a lot of fun...it's big but it feels small and friendly. Lots of cool musicians here too, of all levels. I moved here 6 years ago and it feels like home much more than the place I grew up in, or any other place I've lived for that matter.

bass12, pjbassist and dbase like this.
  20. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Funny that your post came up Frank. Last night a drummer friend of mine told me he's needs a bass player for a band he's putting together which consist of a pro group of musicians with a 28 year old female front designed to play weddings and corporate events. They want to dress up and play "Dancing music". He set up an audition for me and gave me two songs to play. If I can play them he said, they will set up a full band audition. The songs are "I will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor and "Boogie Oogie" by a Taste of Honey. I know those numbers but told him that I didn't want to play that kind of music anymore because Disco was Dead but obviously not in Montreal. ;)

Bassed in NZ, McG and Frank77 like this.