1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Latency Problems. Should I upgrade?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by alreadytaken, Aug 21, 2018.

1. alreadytaken

alreadytaken

Aug 2, 2018
    I travel full time (most of the time) and don't have an amp. I use my macbook pro (mid 2015 model/ 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7/ 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3) with Garageband and Guitar rig 5 for amp/effect emulation. As an interface I use an old M-Audio Mobile Pre (version one) which is probably 10 years old.

So here is the problem: After playing for 20 minutes or more if I stop playing for a second I get a 2-3 second delay that won't go away until I unplug and plug back in the interface. Then I have to go through the settings in garageband and set my i/o to the mobile pre again. This usually only happens when I am also running youtube through google chrome to play along with backing tracks. Sometimes it's when I have no other programs running, the macbook has been recently restarted and its plugged in.

Will a new interface fix this? Will a scarlett 2i2 be a good one to replace it with? I don't want to spend too much on it, but best audio quality and eliminating these latency problems would greatly reduce my frustration level.

Thanks!

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Has your system always done this?

3. alreadytaken

alreadytaken

Aug 2, 2018
    Yep

4. Acoustic356

Acoustic356 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    If you are just looking for playback, consider a hardware solution like the Palmer Pocket Bass Amp. It has a small form factor, just line out of you laptop into the Palmer. Then headphone out of the Almer and you are good to go.

5. alreadytaken

alreadytaken

Aug 2, 2018
    Interesting, I had not thought of something like that, I'll look into it. Thanks! I need to be able to track guitars and vocals too. I guess I should have included that in my post.

Edit: This Palmer pre looks awesome! Thanks again for the heads up.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2020