Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LDS 4x6.5

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stedtale, Feb 13, 2006.

1. I've seen it in the shop, but have not tried it. It's interesting... it has a side firing speaker to spread the sound out of stage, and is the same size as some of Don's larger cabs, so you could put a 112 or something under it.

I would think it wouldn't be very useful as a stand alone cab, but might be nice as an upper mid/treble sort of thing with a larger woofer under it.

I'll plug it in when I'm over there later this week and check it out.

2. I was curious as to the low end on it. I have heard good things about the PJ briefcase, especially for upright. If you get a chance to plug in, I'd love to hear your comments on it.

3. Will do, although it will be with an EB. I played TBowlus' PJ, and while it sounded good, my feeling is it's not really 'gig worthy' regarding bottom and volume. Also, when you consider that an Epi112UL and AI Clarus weigh about the same as a PJ Briefcase and put out 1000 times more ooomph, I don't really see much use for these very small cabs with very small speakers.... of course, IMO.

4. Oh yeah, totally makes sense. The EPI/AI combo would, most liekly, blow the 4x6.5 away any day, but I await your learned review :)

5. i actually played that cabinet, powered by an AI clarus. it's pretty loud, actually, but nowhere near my HT-112 powered by about 600W. no surprise there. i found the tone to be much thicker than i preferred, but it wasn't an indistinct thick. there was plenty of note definition, but i couldn't cut as well as i'm used to with the HT-112, even with the bass knobs up.

it was a neat little cabinet, but i'm not anywhere near giving up the HT-112 for it.

robb.