1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

LDS cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Slink, May 15, 2006.

1. Slink

Slink

Dec 27, 2005
    I'm looking for a light weight cab to go with my 1212R Schroeder. Something under 45LBS. possibly a 1212L. Eden is supposedly coming out soon with Neo cabs maybe one of those.

I was just on the LDS site and they have some unique looking cabs. I know next to nothing about them. Not many people talk about them here and I was wondering if anyone had one and what they sound similar to. I would think the 8 " speakers would have lots of punch.

Like them or dislike them. Are they well made? How do they sound. Are they worth their price?

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I've played many of them, since I live relatively close to Low Down Sound. Don is a great guy, and makes some nice cabs for very good prices. He is working with lighter wood and new proprietary 8" Eminence Neo drivers, and they sound great.

However.... the small 3x8 and 4x8 cabs are not really optimal for electric bass IMO... they just don't put out the ooomph compared to similarly sized boxes with 10"s or 12"s (Don makes a GREAT 2x10 cab). He also used that cool spray on covering if you want it... which is just great.

Regarding mixing and matching with the 1212R... I'm not so sure about that. As you know, that is a very efficient and very uniquely voiced cab. I can't quite picture the sound of a Schroeder with a 'non Schroeder'.

Are you looking simply for more volume, or a different sound than you are getting from you 1212R. If you are happy with the 1212R, I'd consider a 1210L. Those two would really put out some sound together, and the 1210L would be a very nice, lightweight solution for smaller gigs.

3. Slink

Slink

Dec 27, 2005
    Thanks Ken, very good reply and I think your right about the 1210L.

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I'm running one of Dons 2 X 10s and a 2 X 12, both neos. My 210 ways 43 lbs. and rocks with an Eden 550. The 2 X 12 has a little more booty and a little less edge so used together they match up real nice. Don makes good stuff ecspecially for the price.

5. ChrisdFlip

ChrisdFlip Gold Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2006
    USA
    I ordered a 210 from LDS. I'm expecting delivery of it tomorrow. Hoping to pair it up with either an Eden WT-400 or WT-550. Then selling my Reverend Goblin guitar amp to fund a LowEnd LE-J 5 or 6 string Jazz Bass.:cool:

6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I suppose I'm as qualified as anyone to answer this question.

Just before New Years' Eve, I ordered a 2x12 / 2x6 cabinet to mate with my old Fender Bassman 100 tube head. Here is the thread I wrote about it, with all of my pictures: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237206&highlight=LDS+2x12

I was going for a clear but not bright cabinet - a New Vintage thing, if you follow me. The mid drivers are key! The upper mids and the bottom in this cabinet are better than anything I've owned before.

I've also got a LDS neo 1x8 3-way headed my way via UPS as we speak (thanks to Tom Bowlus, and sorry to all the guys that went the the belchfest last week that had interest in it). I'm not really sure what to expect, but I plan on mating it primarily with my GK 400RB-III for now for a lightweight college rig (most likely just acoustic guitar / djembe sorts of things). I'm not expecting a ton of volume, but the tone is supposed to be pretty awesome for how small and light it is. I may look into having Don build me something to go with it - have an ultra-small rig that makes double 1x12 rigs looks large in comparison. My 2x12 / 2x6 would really handle most of my gigging needs, and this is just something to kick around with / combine with something else down the road. I'll be sure to post impressions.

If you have any questions regarding LDS cabs that I haven't answered, I'd be happy to.

PS - KJung might be right in that the Schroeders aren't the best cabs to mate with something else. While I haven't played one, what I gather about the sound (when I wade through all the muck that says it resembles an Ampeg and an Epifani at the same time :rollno: ) tells me that it wouldn't necessarily sit well with other cabinets. Consider having Don build you an all-LDS neo rig instead! Two guys on here run 2x10 / 2x12 rigs from him and loved them (Mikebass sold his a while back, however, due to volume overkill). I'm sure Don could build you anything you wanted.