1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lead Guitar player quits over Newyear gig.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Rathead123, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Our Lead guitar player, who Ill call "A", informed our lead singer, that "A" was leaving the band. Ill give a little background information on the matter. "A" is a great player, puts on really good show and generaly easy to work with. But sometimes we would text or call him to discuss band issues or booking dates and no one could get him. Might not hear from him a week or two and never was sure when he would be at practice. So we get booked in a club Ill call "rathole". At our 3rd gig there he was late arriving at 10.pm our start time and disappeared after breaks long after we were to be back up playing. His wife was always rude and disrespectful to the band, and didnt like "rathole". So we get booked on December 1st for Newyears eve at "rathole" and every month for a year, thats 13 gigs and he o'k's it.So on the 14th he wants us to switch gigs to another club that had a band cancel. I said "better off to leave as is" than to switch this late. But if it was a bad problem with the wife, call me that night, since he was at work, we only had a brief disscusion. So I dont hear from him, assume everthings fine. So he Emails lead singer couple days later,"sorry cant do newyears". No phone call the email isnt even noticed for another week. Now its the 21st of Dec. So singer dude calls him to find out "whats up", and he says " If yal get someone to fill in great'. "I have no problem with it". So I do . I get a good guitar player to fill in, the show goes well and "rathole is happy". So Jan 4th he dont show at practice, and in an email to our singer, says. 'Im quitin". "We did him wrong getting someone to do the show" etc. No phone calls..an email. Needless to say the fillin guy is now our full time guy now, but I hate to think I couldnt have done more. We woulda lost newyears and a years worth of gigs to keep this guy. I woulda worked with him . But oh well.

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Hmm... last post was almost 3 years ago - hacked account or troll?

3. Lol . Actually been busy giging, and hadnt had a need to post. Wish I didnt need to post this, but I guess thats good in a way, shows hadnt had many band problems to worry with.

4. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Sounds like "A" is a real headcase complete with matching wacko wife. If I was you I'd be celebrating being rid of them :D .

5. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    So does A stand for Nancy?

6. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Aug 7, 2006
    I'll never understand people this way and especially won't comprehend the whole letting the wife be in the middle of it all.

Sure, the place is a "rathole" but why would anyone care? You're not there to do anything but play and go home. It's not your job and if the place sucks then so what? If you get paid at the end of the night what's the problem? As long as health and safety isn't a concern, and believe me I've had gigs where both were borderline, why the need to make a fuss?

The illustrious "rathole" exists anywhere. They deserve live music as much as any frou-frou bar that the snapperheads in hoodies try and mix Elvis Costello and Crystal Method together.

7. You had a problematic guitar player and it sounds like you replaced him. I don't understand what prompted you to post. Was there a request for input in there somewhere?

8. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Maybe he just wanted to put the experience into words and perhaps get some comment?

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space CA
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    So you did exactly what he told you to do to keep the gig and fulfill your obligations.

See a problem with the logic here?

Don't think that. That's some kinda guilt talking. Like this was somehow your fault or caused by you. It's not you, it's him...

All you guys were working way harder than he was. No point in that. It' way too much drama, no matter how "great" a player his is.

He didn't care about you or the band, only about telling everyone what he wanted.

Why? He wasn't working with you based on all the stories you told us.

IMO, his wife was the cause of all (most) of the problems and he or she or both have some kind of substance abuse or other chronic problem that interferes with them relating to people on a professional level.

10. Or he could just be a slack under the thumb no hope who doesn't give a toss about anyone else ;) And A is the sole cause. Could have said no to the wife etc...

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Wow! So he would have rather y'all cancel the gig instead of using a sub! Pretty damn selfish! No contact, no phone calls, can't find the guy? He's lucky y'all didn't fire him first! I hate cats like that! They'd rather bring a band down than just saying, I can't hang, resign and allow someone else the opportunity to play!

12. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    Dude, seriously ?

13. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Word ;)

14. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    Sounds like he's just had Music Biz Lesson No.1 - No one, unless their name is on the front of the package, is indispensable.

15. pgullo64

pgullo64

Jul 23, 2010
    New York, NY
    Sounds like you and the Gtar player were not on the same page as to the kinds of Gigs (and pay maybe?) that you are taking. I know that for me, if I'm taking a gig on a holiday (NYE) it has to be worth my while.

Keep in mind that taking a NYE gig means that his wife is either on her own on NYE or forced to ring in the new year at "rathole" with you guys who apparently she does not like.

If you are not all on the same page and try to force a band member (who you are saying is a great player) to take gigs they dont want to take (probably because they are crappy gigs) will eventualy lead to what happened.

16. So, he left an "A" hole to fill

rimshot.

17. +1, Good riddance. He sounds ridiculous, unreliable, and illogical.

18. He was pretty bad to deal with. And to believe I almost didnt use a sub and go forth Newyears. Well now we still have an everymonth return gig at "rathole" and really the place aint that bad. Band I was in for 5 years prior to this one, played at "rathole" 4 years , and never had a problem with , money, owners,etc. And found out his wife " pitched a fit" one of the nights while were on stage. She got mad over some tables she had asked to reserve for friends, (I dont condone that anyway,we are there to work). We got there and people were in these seats, and she complained,to the door lady, then ran out screaming "This band wont be back!". I didnt know about this, till after the quiting deal. This was not told to me , and had I have known it, he woulda been gone on the spot, or at least after that gig.

19. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Seriously, don't sweat it.

20. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    Rathead - is said "rathole" the Rusty Rudder?