1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lead singer wants my amp behind drummer?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Kanekutter05, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Kanekutter05

Kanekutter05

Apr 29, 2015
    Colorado
    Hey all, pre-apologies if this is common practice...but my band has our 1st show together on Friday. We were discussing how we will set up on stage and our lead singer tells me that he wants my bass amp completely behind the drummer. At 1st I didn’t pay that much attention to the statement, but then I started thinking about every show I’ve ever been to and how I’ve literally never seen the bass amp directly behind the drummer.

I will see him before the show so I’ll ask him why, but is there any reason whatsoever to put my bass amp directly behind the drummer? We have the lead singer (also plays rhythm guitar), lead guitar, keys, drummer and myself.

Any insight on that would be awesome, thanks in advance!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  2. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    If you have space to put an amp behind the drummer, then you’ve got more space than most stages I’ve played on! :laugh:

3. Only reason I can think of is to make sure the drummer can hear you. But that may impact your ability to hear yourself. It will definitely impair your ability to make any adjustments on the amp.

On stage, that’s what monitors are for. Perhaps they are worried about getting a decent drum monitor mix. If that’s the case, it makes more sense to have 2 cabinets, and turn one of them to point at him. Or, with a long enough cord, run one over behind him.

4. BigBobbyBass

BigBobbyBass

Jan 23, 2015
    I've been playing bass for a long time and I don't think I've ever seen that done.

5. MyTomomi

MyTomomi

Aug 15, 2017
    PH
    He probably wants to hear his rhythm guitar more. :)

I was the rhythm guitarist on my first two band. Most of the time, I can't hear my sound in the mix.

6. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    What does the drummer think?
    In 35 or so years of gigging, doing sound, and attending shows I've never seen this.
    As @dreamadream99 says, what if you need to get to your amp to adjust?

Mr_Moo, Dave Neal, Jimks and 8 others like this.
  7. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    He hates you.

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Does the drummer have trouble hearing you?

I think your LS believes the drummer and you, thus the band, will be tighter.

What will be the mix in the monitors?

Will the drummer have his own monitor?

I've been playing since the 60's. Never seen it done that way. Close to the drummer, yes, never behind.

Dave Neal, loopee, BBQisgood and 7 others like this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I have attended quite a few shows....and played a TON of shows. I have never.....

1).....set up a stage in a way that there were several feet of space behind the drummer. Usually the drummer is pretty backed up to the rear edge of the stage.

2) .......seen a bass rig behind a drummer. Ever. Tell your singer (in a nice way) to shut up and sing and let the grownups work out the stage plot. :thumbsup:

10. I'm betting he (or she) hates the idea.

sigterm, murphy, Dave Neal and 13 others like this.
  11. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    bollocks

12. nolezmaj

nolezmaj Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Maybe that is his ignorant way of saying "I want to hear more drums, less bass guitar". Talk to him about your mix. He could be wrong, or he could be right - in a way that you are too loud or overplaying.

TalHaz likes this.
  13. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

I always preferred that our stage set up was the same every time and that the positions were the same at practice.I am old enough to have seen a bunch of shows and performed at a bunch. I have never seen the bass amp directly behind the the drummer. Could the LS mean the drummer should be in front of the backline?

Dave Neal, Jimks and fat4 like this.
  14. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    That' s a singer's way to get rid of the drummer!!!

kinda weird!!! :D

Wise(b)ass

Jimks, obimark, mikewalker and 2 others like this.
  15. It's always good to be sure the drummer hears you,
    but it's also important for him to hear himself.
    Ner, but not behind should be plenty close enough.

cchorney likes this.
  16. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    Never seen that, and I wouldn't set up that way for the reasons already mentioned (can't hear yourself or able to make amp adjustments)

17. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    A deaf drummer? That's not good for anyone. Maybe the LS thinks the drummer will play quieter if he can hear you better?

Tell the LS, thanks but no thanks. Is the LS the BL?

18. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I've played well over 2000 shows. I've seen probably just about as many. If ya count shows and performances I've seen on TV and YouTube, fuggettaboutit!

Never seen a bass amp behind the drummer.

Maybe your singer wants to do things differently, and be a first?

I'd tell him you want his vocal monitor behind the drummer, too.

19. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    Get an svt cl and 8x10 crank it to 10... the drummer will want your amp moved and no one could hear anything but bass...

20. Smoove-Groove

Smoove-Groove We've got bush, We've got bush!

Jun 18, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    Sounds kinda stupid. Ask your singer to thoroughly explain why.