1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lead singer wants my amp behind drummer?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Kanekutter05, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Only a couple of weeks late.

2. EricMordus

EricMordus

Aug 29, 2013
    NYC
    Simple, Don't allow the lead singer to make these kind of decisions.... BOOM
    NEXT!

3. bleedingfingers

bleedingfingers

Mar 21, 2006
    All of there sound techs probably would agree with me .
    And have you ever played beside a left handed player on the right hand side of the stage ?
    it's like being in a sword fight .
    Also seriously doubt there were any mics on those jazz trios drum kits .
    But you are right every body has a right to there opinion .

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    Torrente Cro likes this.
  4. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Sounds really odd to me too, suggest his guitar amp to be placed behind the lead guitarist's amp.

Or that you all line up in a straight line from front to back on the stage.

5. The party was months ago and OP is probably on his third band by now.

Fangry likes this.
  6. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    I think players (and their gear) should line up behind one another from the front of the stage to the back, in column so to speak. And..ahem..er..Singer not necessarily in front. Note audience can only be to the sides of the stage to see everyone in the band. Yeah, thats the way to do it. Right on!

zontar and Stumbo like this.
  7. I can’t think of any reasons to put a bass amp behind the drummer. I can think of many reasons to NOT do that.

1 gonna cause stage volume level issues. Drummer will complain he or she hears too much bass guitar while not hearing enough of other instruments.

2 bass firing towards the drums causing all kinds of drum mic bleed issues.

3 Lot of places we play there’s is zero room as the drummer basically plays back to a wall.

4 i imagine any bass amp with decent output can make the snares on the snare drum rattle the entire show.

Stumbo likes this.
  8. LOL, I hope the OP told the singer to go pound sand.

9. vulturedog

vulturedog

Feb 19, 2013
    I’ve never ever heard of this in my time of playing (since the late 80’s) just say “thanks but I prefer my amp where I can hear it” and where I choose to put it is best for me and the band!”
    It’s stuff like this is why I question being in a band all together. Why can’t people just concentrate on their own instrument or position in the band?

CereBassum and Bad azz tone like this.
  10. My insight: Tell him to shut up and sing.

IamGroot likes this.
  11. some singers have a big ego and want to control the other members of the band... maybe they want the stage to look clean with no amps in view?
    first thing I'd do is check with the drummer - and if they are ok about it and you can still hear your amp from behind drummer then do it.... if you need your amp closer to where you are on stage just tell the singer it's not possible to put your amp behind the drummer.

12. Brains.... Brains ...

Have OP and drummer left to form a better band yet?

CereBassum likes this.
  13. While I don't doubt there's an ego thing going on in this particular case (and yes, I know the thread is old), I don't think it's all that odd.. I usually have my amp behind the drummer in my jazz combo at his request. It acts as a nice baffle to balance things out with the rest of the group and he likes it for helping him lock in with me.

14. GZboat

GZboat

Feb 16, 2017
    I can see it being possibly useful in a traditional jazz combo with limited volume and limited drum micing. But as a 30-year professional production sound mixer, I still wouldn't be happy with so much bass bleed into the drum mics.
    Greg

15. computerman

computerman

Feb 21, 2017
    I would call out that stupid **** right on the spot. Why do you feel the need to listen to him or even give him any consideration? You said "my band", if you dont have any say its not your band, move on.

Jimks likes this.
  16. ...or hates the drummer.

Grumry likes this.
  17. Zombies refuse to die naturally.

18. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Tell the LS to shag off. I am so tired of no nothing talent thinking they own the band because they sing.
    If they hired you for the gig, then yes, listen to them. If its a band and everyone is equal, tell em to do go do a colonoscopy with their microphone.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  19. Zombies!