1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lead singer wants my amp behind drummer?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Kanekutter05, Oct 25, 2017.

1. WindyCityHawk

WindyCityHawk Banned

Jun 17, 2017
    Another 2¢
    Listen to this tune.
    Does it sound like the bassists amps are 'behind the drummer'?

Attached Files:

2. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Please let your lead singer know that we think he’s an idiot.

3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    This whole situation is about whether *you* want to do this gig. It's pretty much impossible to force people to do anything -- you can only control YOU.

In my (decades of) experience, I have found that it is tricky to ask someone to change their tone... volume is about the only thing you can even get a listen about. You have to discuss (there's that doggone communication thing again) frequency bands and say this is my space, will you guys please stay out of it so there's room for bass, AND will you agree not to turn up after the sound check. If they refuse, there's your answer. If the answer is yes, then remind them right before you start not to turn up. If everyone turns up anyway, then there's your answer. You have only to decide whether you want to continue playing in this situation.

If you are lucky enough to have people who are sensitive to your concerns and needs, then you can work out a mutually agreeable mix and set of levels. I wish you luck.

Omega Monkey and Blind Lemon Sam like this.
  4. GZboat

GZboat

Feb 16, 2017
    There seems to be a consensus here. Ditch the lead singer, and maybe the lead guitarist and keyboard player too. Given that in your post about the "gig" (use the term very loosely) you mention band members drinking beer, I'm guessing everyone is over 21. If they haven't learned the basics of "playing well with others" by that age, it's unlikely they will any time soon. Wannabe rock stars in their 20's and 30's can be massive P-I-T-A's to deal with, really not worth the time or trouble. Let's be brutally honest here, lead singers, lead guitarists, and keyboard players are pretty common. Other's can usually be found. On the other hand, a "right, tight, and outta sight" rhythm section is rare and can do very well working together steadily. Do the names Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Lee Sklar, and Russ Kunkel ring any bells? Life is too short and the club-level music business too hard to waste time with people whose egos have far outstripped their accomplishments.
    Greg

5. Chalotrejo

Chalotrejo

Feb 28, 2013
    There are reasons why a singer might like to have an amp off his back, bass leaking on the vocal mic producing unwanted bass reverbs and delays, difficulties hearing himself on stage, whatever. Putting the amp behind the drummer is not a good way to go. You might try moving your amp to the side of the stage aiming at you and the drummer (stage mics are directional, might not leak). Other way is to have a "wedge" amp pointing at you so is more focused in your direction and you can use lower volume on stage (will benefit everyone), or... getting a good in-ear system. Most in-ear systems are a little "sterile" but you can overcome that with a good preamp for the FOH and a cheap amp simulator (an old L6 bass pod can do the trick) for your personal monitoring so it's less dull on your ears. Ideas...

6. I've never seen a bass amp behind a drummer before..... as someone else said most stages wouldn't have the room for that anyway.
    Have you asked the singer why they want your bass amp behind the drummer? and have you asked the drummer what they think of this?
    if I was the drummer I wouldn't like having a grunty bass amp directly behind me.

7. OmattmanO

OmattmanO

Apr 10, 2017
    Have you considered joining a band that wants a bass player?

8. Father Fred

Father Fred

May 22, 2017
    The worst thing about this story is the singer's idea of what a band should sound like sonically. I am all for dense music, experimental music and octavers but you really don't need a six piece to be dense and there's only so many instruments you want in the same part of the mix. It really sounds like they should forget about having a bassist or shift the keyboardist and maybe one other... but that ain't happening so good luck with the drummer!

9. Korladis

Korladis Supporting Member

Ear plugs.

10. This does not make any sense at all, tell your singer to check any band he/she really likes how they sound and copy the set up. Drummers do not need to listen to amps (drums is the first track you lay down 99% of the time). Bass amp should be generally behind you and facing the guitar player so he knows when is playing in the wrong key. Monitors help change this set up.

11. Al T.

Al T. Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Richmond, VA.
    I'll take flaming nitwits for 4 hundred Alex .

pcake, Kanekutter05 and Stumbo like this.
  12. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    I just noticed that my amp has an optional stand. Maybe your amp has one to help improve sound. Set up in ls dressing room:D

13. satchelbaglio

satchelbaglio Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Richmond, B.C.
    Oh man this is a good one.
    Time to find a new singer.
    Thinking new Spinal Tap skit.
    Lol

14. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Just tell him putting a bass amp behind the drums, rattles the snares too much

pcake and Stumbo like this.
  15. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    The drummer still says "WHAT"?

16. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    How is the drummer going to enjoy a 4x10 or 8x10 stack behind him/her?

17. Korladis

Korladis Supporting Member

Seems like a logical place for it, to me. The bass is the most important thing for the drummer to hear.

18. wolfman1

wolfman1

Nov 8, 2014
    No-no. no. no, no, no-no-no-no. You can't always get what you want. He hates your bass rig. He hates the drummer. He really hates the sound man. He wants to make you uncomfortable. Or, he thinks he has a good idea but really doesn't know what he's talking about. I've seen extra cabinets point at the drummer. I've seen drummers with their own little bass amp where they can control the volume. But nothing ever behind the drummer in 50 years. Bad idea. No room.

19. Jimks

Jimks

Oct 11, 2016
    Kansas
    Just my 02 cents. NEVER EVER seen or would want a bass amp "behind" the drummer. Yikes.

The objective is that the audience hear all of you . We used an "old" method that worked well. How big is the crowd and space you are playing ? ...... all amps were on the sides of the drummer or in front of the drummer a bit and to the side of them (never in front or behind them). They were hooked to speakers on the other side as well of the drummer. Distance from the drummer could be different each concert as to how far or how spread out they were due to the size of audience and space you are playing in. They are "aimed" for the sound of them to zero in and meet at the center point of the audience 3/4's of the depth / distance back you expect the audience to be. That way, the majority of the audience will hear ALL of you fairly well, and the mix will be better. Not bass on this or that side, etc. or anyone else for that matter.

Tell the singer .... they don't have a foggy clue what they are talking about ..... they're an idiot.

We had a lippy know it all singer once.... we left his feedback speaker plugged in, but unplugged them for a bit from the amps at a concert. So, they were the only one that heard it. Did that a couple of songs until they realized it. They threatened to quit, and we left them out of the next 2 concerts and did the singing. We had others in the band who could sing quite well. We warned them, we weren't their "support" group.... it was a band, a team and all parts of it were just as important as any other. They had input, but no business telling everyone else what they were going to do.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  20. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    You need a real sound person, either someone with experience or someone with training or both - every venue is different, every room is different, every stage is different, and calls for a different set up for you to hear and be heard. Invest in some PA gear and use stage monitors, and with the right mixer and enough monitors to go around, everyone can get exactly what they want in their monitor, and none of what they don't want. Please don't put your amp behind the drummer, for his/her sake and for the sake of the people listening who would otherwise wanna shake their a$$ to your groove.

Jimks likes this.