1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

learning as i go [build content]

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gord_oh, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I knew when I started a build that it would not be easy. But somehow I got the idea in my head that I could do it. After reading tons of stuff on here, people giving me advice and stuff, and have friends that are luithers and good with wiring I decided to give it a go.

I've been getting parts for my Fender (Warmoth) build for the past few months and am slowly learning that I might in over my head. I know the sound I want and I'm beginning to understand how to obtain it too.

SPECS:
    Warmoth Mahogany Jazz Bass Body
    Seymour Duncan Hot PU
    BadAss Bass Bridge II
    Having trouble choosing a neck
    I have wilkinson tuners, but I am getting Schaller BMLs, possibly a drop D Xtender
    All black hardware/black pickguard

Any other questions?

this is kinda how i want it to look
    Prototype pics:
    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...iewPicture&friendID=213161737&albumId=1500096

I think I am over my head but we will see. I will keep you updated on my progress.

I AM OPEN TO QUESTIONS/TIPS/ADVICE/STORIES/ETC.

2. Once you have everything ready to go, it will all work out. Learing how to do a proper setup is something every serious bass player should learn. Worse case, assemble everything as best as you can, then take it to someone that can go over the setup/intonation process with you. It might cost you a few bucks to spend some time with someone but it will pay off BIG TIME down the road.

3. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    NECKS: i have a fender-like neck (headstock isnt cut right, larger tuners hang off. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510477&highlight=), fretless, it doesnt fit on my jazz bass body, i just dont want this one. im thinking of just selling it.

I want a block inlay neck.
    considering i have a mahogany body, a warm sound, what wood should i go with for the neck?
    warmoth's version of the neck i want is over $300!
    next task is finding the one i want, warmoth, fender, allparts, mighty mite?

ADVICE?

4. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    UPDATE:
    the pickguard, cover plate, and pups
    qpp7bn. izmbue.

to see it coming along is huge to me!!
    im so excited.
    maybe im the only one.

5. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Youre not the only one! Im excited to see it!

6. I've thought a lot about a mahogany body for a bass, I'll be really interested in seeing how yours turns out and sounds. Good luck, looks like a great project.

7. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    Why not make the neck yourself?

8. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    About the neck, I'd go all parts. I got my BRAND NEW Maple and black blocks neck on ebay for 250. Don't sell yourself cheap and get a neck you really don't want because it's cheaper (I've had this problem). Go all in and make the bass perfect for you.

9. I have an AllParts block and bound neck for one of my Jazz projects. Looks and feels great, just need to knock a bit of the finish off the neck.

(Large pic warning.)

sage-neck.

10. Yeah, get a good neck it will matter in the end. The distance between a Migtymite and an Allparts or Warmoth is light years.

11. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    that allparts neck looks way better in a bigger pic.
    thats one i had my eye on.
    thats the vintage look i want too.

12. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    maybe one day, but i cant do that.

13. piproberts

piproberts

Jan 27, 2009
    hi, i've just finnished a warmouth j bass project and i'm realy pleased with it over all. hardly any problems that were beyond my very limited capability so just take it steady .the warmouth neck plays well and i easily managed to get a good action but it is massive!!! realy thick. not realy like a fender jazz neck at all. it is a very subjective thing, everyone has preferences so i would look at the dimensions/ neck shape carefully before taking the plunge.
    all the best to you and your project.
    pip.

14. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    UPDATE:
    6i4gmp. vzf2fb.
    painted it yesterday and today, waiting for it to set up. probably will wait until monday to wire this thing up.

think of names...

15. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    purple people eater

16. bui

bui

Feb 24, 2009
    Texas
    My vote is "Grimace", or "Purple Drank".

6a00e5514400848834010535b77c94970b-500wi.

17. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    The Bass Formerly Known As Prince

18. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    haha, my mother suggested purple rain.

19. Gord_oh