Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

learning to walk, while running.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Monomer, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Monomer

Monomer

Jul 22, 2005
    So, in class yesterday (HS jazz) and my teacher hads me a peice of music.

Now, at this point I'm a senior and have the most experience and greater knowledge in music theory than the other bassests in class.

The peice is "Ya Gotta Try" (Ironic, isnt it?) by Sammy Nestico.

It's a walking peice, and dosnt give any normal notes at all on the sheet (ok, its got a couple, but still) It just has chord names (and the teacher expects me to improve it?) to arpeggio all the chords (its in Cut time, and nearly all chords are 7/9/11/13) -At this point in time I cant even read notes on site, nor do I have the entire fretboard memorized (just the parts i use the most) So doing this is a huge uptaking for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should go at learning howto play this peice?

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Building Walking Bass Lines, by Ed Friedland.

You'll want to play 4 quarter notes per bar, and the subleties in building a good walking line will take your life to master. Avoid strict arpeggios, listen to jazz, transcribe lines. And READ. Oh yeah, LISTEN!

3. Monomer

Monomer

Jul 22, 2005

The book should be found at a music store, or would a normal bookstore have it?

4. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I'm guessing a music store. You could also try bassbooks.com

5. pontz

pontz

Oct 31, 2003
    CT
    Pacman,

What skill level is that book geared towards. I'm lloking for a good advanced course in walking lines.

Thanks,

Pontz

6. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I think the best course for advanced walking lines is transcribing.

7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    "Modern Walking Bass Technique" by Mike Richmond in addition to a few offerings by Jamey Abersold with transcriptions of a few different bassists.

8. groove100

groove100

Jan 22, 2005
    VA.
    a great book that you can also get is
    Todd Coolman's the "Bottom Line"
    Teaches you arpeggiatios in all inversions

and Rufus Reid's the "Evolving Bassist" (this is not only for DB players but for electric too.)

At this point what you can do is to really concentrate chord per chord on how to arpeggiate them and connect them to make a "simple" walking line that outlines the chord.
    start with simple triads for start.

9. Monomer

Monomer

Jul 22, 2005
    That's exactly how I'm (trying to) doing it.

still a lot to learn.

not to mention the songs tempo - around 160ish(BPM) if I had to ballpark it

10. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I don't think that your teacher gave you an impossible assignment. You are a high school student with limited experience and he knows this. Most of all, he is looking for an honest effort.

It sounds as if he is simply asking you to outline (arpeggiate) the chords. You teacher does not expect you to be Paul Chambers, Ray Brown, Ron Carter, or Mingus.

I'm sure that this is going to be an educational experience. He wouldn't be a good teacher if he just gave you all the answers. He wants to see what you can come up with, then he'll probably help you to make adjustments.

The first step is to find out what notes are in each of the chords. If you don't know them, you can't play them. To keep things simple, I wouldn't worry about the 9, 11, or 13th.

Focus on the Root, 3rd, 5th, and 7th of each chord. If you want to keep things REALLY simply, just focus on Roots and 5th's. That's how Building Walking Bass Lines, by Ed Friedland gets you started. You don't have to memorize the entire fingerboard to do this. First be able to locate the root of the chord, and memorize where the 5th is in relation to the root. (One string lower on the same fret ~OR~ one string higher, two frets up).

To keep from getting yourself confused, write your bassline out on staff paper. You can write the chord tones above each measure to keep yourself on track.

You can worry about "connecting" the chord changes later. Don't worry about how fast the piece is played. If it does go fast, then keep things simple. The tempo on your chart is the performance tempo. I'm sure you already know that you can take pieces slower in rehearsal situations.

Give us a shout if you have trouble finding the notes in any of the chords. We'd be more than willing to help you out.

Good Luck,
    Joe

11. Monomer

Monomer

Jul 22, 2005
    Ok, I'm slowly getting (thanks for all the help, I love this place)

for playing roots: the root being the first note of a scale. If the scale itself started on lets say, the E string 3rd fret, would it be a G scale?

so the G scale would look as follows:

G-A-B-C-D-E-F-G
    R---3----5---7--O

so Root is G, D is fifth and F is seventh. I should be able to jump around those notes (any in the scale, actually) without it sounding terrable; correct?

12. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    To keep things simple, I would go chord by chord. A scale may only be good for a couple of chords; then it changes. The reason for this is modulations (changing keys).

Instead of figuring out the R, 3, 5, 7 of the scale, figure it out from the chord itself.

Examples:

C Major7:
    Root = C
    3rd = E
    5th = G
    7th = B

D minor7:
    Root = D
    3rd = F
    5th = A
    7th = C

G7:
    Root = G
    3rd = B
    5th = D
    7th = F

B min7b5: (notice that the B and F are not a "perfect 5th")
    Root = B
    3rd = D
    5th = F
    7th = A

Here is a website that you can use to get the correct chord spellings. When you get there, go to the "piano room" to see the chords displayed on the keys. It would be best to work these out on your own, but you might be under pressure to get this chart learned.

http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/
    Give us a shout if you get stuck. We're here to help.

Joe

13. Monomer

Monomer

Jul 22, 2005

excellent idea.

awsome site.