1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

LED's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fod, May 7, 2006.

1. fod

fod

Nov 18, 2005
    Louisivlle Kentucky
    I have seen those LED's mounted in the frets of some bass's. They look amazing on stage, but I hava no personal experience, please talk!!!!

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I find them, IMO, somewhat gay.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Now, put some tritium inserts on the edge markers, THAT would be cool.

This post brought to you courtesy of Crown Royal and lack of sleep.

3. well maybe on the right bass....but personally I think they really spoil a nice bass....like going to wilkinson's to buy fairy lights and putting them on a christmass tree from harrods - I don't get it!

4. i think they are cool, but they are pricey, especially if you don't live in England...

i don't know if they are gay, i never have taken the time to ask them their sexual orientation, but i would know if i looked at a schematic...the led with the ++ connection or the -- connection might be the gay one :)

and there is always fretFX (fretfx.com). I don't like them as much, but they are so much cheaper :)
    actually, i don't really like them at all...i kinda like symmetry, so i don't think i'd be able to have one line on the top of the neck, i'd need to put one below as well...thats why i like SIMS better, because they go down the middle of the neck :)

5. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    The right color LED's can look amazing on the right bass. One of my personal favorites would have to be blue LED's with a Buckeye Burl top. Not to many basses have them so it makes them somewhat original. One day I hope to have atleast one bass with them.

6. Cubeface

Cubeface

Apr 9, 2006
    I havn't seen any in real life, but I think that this one looks cool and nicely done:

SamRivers.

7. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Stu Zender had the first chrome warwick, it had LEDs, green ones for the Godzilla tune Deeper Underground, and he had red ones installed on his rug bass.

[​IMG]

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

Now that does look cool, IMO.

9. On the right bass, the can look really good.

You can't go wrong with Ritter! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. SherpaKahn

SherpaKahn

Dec 1, 2005
    Bronx, NYC
    Anybody else here play Halo? That looks straight out of that game.

11. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    +1000

What a great Idea. Can't believe I never thought of that.

Probably cheaper than lights and way cooler. That is the perfect solution for dark stages.

Brilliant!

12. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Maybe. Kinda reminds me of the shield you've got thats absolutely useless in Legendary.

13. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    i would love switchable LEDs for the sidemarkers on my basses. it's unnerving to be playing fretless onstage when all of a sudden youre in total shadow :oops:

14. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    I'm shocked no one has suggested a search.
    I like fiber optics for neck lights because they aren't as piercing as leds. You throw in an on/off switch, and it's your choice how gay you wanna go at any given time. Sort of a bi situation. The only led equipped bass I have owned was my Marchlewski with fiber optics and led backlit inlay. I think it is a very cool use of them and with the lights switched off it looks like any normal inlay. Another cool thing about fiber optics is that you are running most of your lights from one led in a central cavity. This makes it a breeze to change the color of your neck lights just by switching that master led to any color you want. Definitely a plus over leds IMO.
    [​IMG]

15. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Akito dude, that IS a much better idea, I didn't think of that but it makes a lot of sense! Who did the work for you? Or was it factory fitted? How even was the brightness up the length of the neck? Any idea who fits them and for how much? I suppose the fretboard would have to come off...

16. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    Dang!

That just looks so...COOL!

:D

Joe.

17. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Jacob Marchlewski made the bass for me and built in the fiber optics and leds during construction. I've heard with some fiber optics that the farthest away from the master led can be dimmer, but that is not the case at all with my bass. There is definitely a market for SIMs America. It's hard to find anyone here who will retrofit an instrument.

18. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I actually love them as side markers. Great for low light gigs. A band i play in uses a lot of lighting effects and it often gets dark, very dark. that's why im in the process of putting LEDs in a custom of my own now.