1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lee Dorman

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Allmanfan456, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Allmanfan456

Allmanfan456

Jan 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    There was a topic about him but since its more then a couple years old heres a new one about this fine bassist! Hes so frickin hard to figure out! For the past couple months I've been trying to get the chorus to Most Anything You Want right but I cant get it! Any love for this amazing bassist?

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I was a big Captain Beyond fan when they came out and still revisit the first album from time to time.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I saw IB in 1980 and was pretty impressed with Lee Dorman. Sang great and played great. Talented dude.

4. Lee Dorman was my first favorite bass player, with Iron Butterfly. His tone, due in part to Atco engineers and old vinyl, was fantastic: clean, punchy, agressive. The first time I hear him (1970?) he was playing his ric through a line of ampegs. I then hear him a year and a half later, and he had a Dan Armstrong Lucite bass, through the ampegs. He sounded SO good, and I was SO young, that I had bought an Armstrong within a week.
    (I never liked it)

I have read that he has some very serious issues now.

5. Allmanfan456

Allmanfan456

Jan 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    Yeah I love Captian Beyond too. There so great!

6. Allmanfan456

Allmanfan456

Jan 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    Yeah man its sad no one gives him the credit he deserves.

Really? What kinda of issues?

7. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    I searched a bit. It seems he's had heart trouble the last few years. I found a story about some folks having a festival to raise funds for a heart transplant for him. That was in California in 2007. Also found a site claiming that a lineup of Iron Butterfly featuring Dorman and Ron Bushy is/will be touring in 2009. So maybe he got the new heart?

8. Allmanfan456

Allmanfan456

Jan 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    Wow hopefully hes okay!

9. Allmanfan456

Allmanfan456

Jan 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    Dang I wish I was near there! Id love to see Lee Dorman.

10. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    I'm Dancing Madly Backwards (On A Sea Of Air) and swimming in a Raging River of Fear but I Can't Feel Nothing.

11. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    The Youtube footage of them playing was really cool after so many years.

12. What kind of bass is he playing on the "Inna Gadda Da Vida" album cover? Looks kind of like a Mosrite...

13. Yeah I think it is a Mosrite. I'd have to dig up the album from my archive to be sure, it's been a long time since I looked at it.

14. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    Looked like a Mosrite.
    I read in Hammer Of The Gods that when Zeppelin opened for Iron Butterfly that Bonham/Zep laughed their asses off during Ron Bushy's solo.
    A young and hungry Zep opening for the huge, famous and "heavy" Iron Butterfly is a funny thought.

15. For whatever it's worth- that drum solo is iconic, regardless of if Bonham could have done it "better."

As an aside, Ringo snatched the parts from that drum solo for his drum solo in "The End" off Abbey Road- Which, as I recall seeing/reading in an interview, made Ron Bushy very proud.

16. Allmanfan456

Allmanfan456

Jan 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    I personnally think Ron Bushy is better then John Bonham. H*ll I think musicianship wise there better. I mean Lee Dorman is insane! They were so ahead of their time.

17. Allmanfan456

Allmanfan456

Jan 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    Thats a great solo! I knew the first time I heard it it seemed familiar.

18. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    Heck yeah, Inna Gadda Da Vida SMOKES anything Zeppelin did. That's a confirmed fact.
    Zeppelin just didn't have the intricacy and subtlety of Iron Butterfly.
    Bonham could only DREAM of pulling off Bushy's bass drum work in the Gadda Da Vida solo.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Know what's funny? When I saw IB in 80, Ron Bushy wasn't there, and they had this dude that absolutely smoked a drum solo...great chops, great feel...took maybe the first few seconds of the original drum solo and went off it completely, and killed.

Or so I thought...I bumped into a few buddies after the show and they hated him. I asked them why, and they said, "Because he didn't do the solo that's on the record." I told them, "That's being an artist and not trying to copy someone else's thing." One of them says, "I don't give a **** about that. I wanted to hear THAT SOLO!"

I learned a lot about the difference between playing music and the music business that night ;)