left behind adhesive after removing rat fur

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ihaveshingles, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Ihaveshingles

Ihaveshingles

Dec 24, 2018
    I actually cleaned the baffle with acetone and it did work but damn if it wasn’t time consuming ,laborious and that stuff is just nasty as hell

2. Katoosie

Katoosie Chocolate is the best Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Sweden
    I love the fact that there are as many methods of dealing with the rat fur as there are posters in this thread!

It's like one of those old timey superstitions passed down by the old ladies in some village in the middle of nowhere.

"use the heat Gun"
    "no no use sandpaper"
    "use the heat Gun and the solvent"
    "dont use the solvent, use a knife"
    And so on...

agedhorse likes this.
  3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Just a thought. I have a Dremel Multi-Max paired with a very sharp scraper blade.

Riis

4. This works good to remove adhesives from a lot of things give it a try
    Goo Gone for Automotive you have nothing to lose :)

5. Basslice

Basslice Supporting Member

May 11, 2008
    Western Massachusetts
    Probably because there are so many different adhesives. None of what people have posted are superstitions. Just there is no, "one fits all" solution to removing glue, paint or gunk.

6. ELG60

ELG60

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    Borax also kills fleas. It's also not harmful to pets when used as directed.

7. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    My eyes and ears are wide open now! Got a recipe?

8. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Yup Screenshot_20210622-061934_Samsung Internet.jpg

If you're having trouble finding borax powder, check the garden section with the pesticides. Read the labels. There are actually quite a few ant and roach killers that are nothing but straight borax powder.

9. nickpc

nickpc

Jul 23, 2012
    North Carolina
    Why not apply a thin laminate/veneer over the adhesive, using a compatible adhesive, then put the duratex over the laminate? Basically seal the old adhesive in with the laminate, which then provides a good surface for the duratex to adhere to.

BassNugget likes this.
  10. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    There was a can of powder with grit in it, it would clean your hands quickly, even afer hours of working on old cars. Wish I knew what else was in the powder

11. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    all those chemicals are crap.. Like mentioned go with a good orbital sander with low grit paper or better yet one of those house paint orbital sanders. Or something to strip paint off a car...You wont even need chemicals at that point

nding-angle-grinder-flap-discs-40-grit-choose-size-quantity-box-of-25-size-5-inch-125mm-328-p_10.jpg

deff likes this.
  12. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Agreed, and the more you know about adhesives, the more obvious this becomes.

You would need to know what class of adhesive was used in the first place. Also, this is probably more work and cost than just building a new box.

These can work, but some adhesives will load those flap disks up really fast, and they are not cheap. Also, once they hit wood, they can do a lot of damage in a very short amount of time. If the cabinet has a bunch of gouges and chew marks from the disk, it will show through the Duratex unless the surface is filled.

Again, there's less than $50 worth of plywood in the cabinet (even at today's prices).

Basslice likes this.
  13. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I'm a bit surprised that nobody suggested a flame thrower yet... :rolleyes:

14. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    An industrial wood chipper will work fine IME.

9Thumbs and Matthias like this.
  15. nickpc

nickpc

Jul 23, 2012
    North Carolina
    I believe @agedhorse has, indirectly, multiple times.

agedhorse, Passinwind and Matthias like this.
  16. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.
    7873227.jpg

17. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    :roflmao: I did not think of getting rid of the whole thing in the first place, just flambé it a little until the glue goes up in smoke. But then the rest of the cab will go up in smoke as well I guess....

18. Ihaveshingles

Ihaveshingles

Dec 24, 2018
    I really like the idea of lighting it on fire at this point, as agedhorse says just build a new cab….

Basslice and agedhorse like this.
  19. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    There is not once that I've gotten into a project like this that I didn't say to myself "It would have been easier to just build a new box." That said, not everyone has the tools, expertise, etc. to accomplish that as easily as I do. The OP is in it now -- experimentation will reveal which of the techniques offered will yield the best results. None of them are going to be easy. My vote is a belt or orbital sander with 60 or 80 grit paper and plan on buying quite a bit. It seems like almost anything is going to result in a surface that will need some filling.

@beans-on-toast's advice to avoid altering the edge radius is to be heeded. And Andy's earlier suggestion of recovering it with a good grade of new Ozite carpet is probably the easiest solution, IMO.

BassNugget and agedhorse like this.
  20. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I stripped rat fur off a small 60w cube combo amp, then sanded, and sanded, and sanded…
    It took a lot of time and 60 grit but I finally got it down to just wood.
    Never again. I’m in the “burn it” camp these days.

Basslice, agedhorse and HardNHeavy like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021