Left hand help...

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington [archive]' started by CharlesRay357, Jul 26, 2013.

1. CharlesRay357

CharlesRay357

Jan 28, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Hello Anthony, I've just picked up the bass again after 9 years. I've always been a groove player, playing southern soul where solos are rare. I recently met some guys and they ask me to solo and I can't. My left hand can't play those beautiful melodies lines and riffs you guys play...stuck in a groove and can't get out. Would you please give me some advice on developing my left hand. Thankx in advance!

2. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    Of course, a beautiful solo is made up of a lot of things.

But the one issue you're talking about falls in the category of 'dexterity'.

Basically you want to make sure the you have total finger independence. You want to make sure that you can count each of your fingers equally.

You need a workout that will work your fingers out equally. Songs and scales won't do that. A good place to start is a permutation chart based on the number '4' since you have 4 finger. Basically there are 24 combinations(permutations) that you can move your 4 fingers in. You want to be equally comfortable with all 24. And you need make sure that you're doing these permutations across 1 string, 2 strings, 3 strings and 4 strings if you play 4 string bass.

The chart is based on math, not bass. It's a chart based on 'possibilities'.

I'm sure if you google permutation chart you'll find the 24 variations. And I'm sure that someone will read this and tell you exactly where to find one.

peace,
    anthony

3. CharlesRay357

CharlesRay357

Jan 28, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks Ant, those permutations are something else. For years I've used my ring and pinky as one...challenging!

4. CharlesRay357

CharlesRay357

Jan 28, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Hey Ant, those permutations are a good workout. How can I become more melodies without sounding like I'm playing scales...when it comes to soloing? Like when I'm playing the groove and the lead vocalist nods and says go? Help please...thanks! Oh yeah man...you're a real rythmic monster!

5. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    As a player, you always have to increase the tools in your tools box. It's not just one thing to work on. It takes me months to work with students to develop there 'melodic devices' and then permutate them in all possible ways, frequency-wise and time-wise.

There's a process. And unfortunate it'll be impossible to understand that process with a post on a forum.

I suggest that you find a teacher who knows and understands what I just said to work with you on that.

peace,
    anthony

6. jamminology101

jamminology101

Aug 22, 2012
    Indianapolis In
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    Yeah....u have accountability when u have a teacher and only yourself if u dont. Its not even so much if the teacher is a virtuoso or not as long as he has good stuff hes making u do. U make more of ur practice time if u have to present the material(hopefully the most difficult) to someone cuz no one wants to look like an ass..

7. CharlesRay357

CharlesRay357

Jan 28, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks guys I appreciate that. I just moved to Tampa less than a month ago. I'll definitely look for a good teacher. And Jamminology101 that's just how I feel when that nod comes...LOL

8. Docbass1218

Docbass1218 Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2012
    southern New Jersey
    Charles, may I suggest that you think about using Anthony as your teacher. You can Skype lessons with him. Who better to teach you how to fill your toolbox with the tools that Anthony is talking about than Anthony? Charles, I think your teacher is right in front of you. My 2 cents.

9. CharlesRay357

CharlesRay357

Jan 28, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Thanx Mark, I'm seriously contemplating that. Trying to get my scheduling down...

10. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    Thanks Mark,

I appreciate that.

But if you noticed, I never offer myself up to anyone as the teacher for them. Actually, I don't even want a person as a student until they 'know' they are ready for me. I'd even encourage them to try others first. It's because I KNOW that my methods works. I'm not even gonna' tryta' convince anyone that they do.

~aw

11. rodsnhawgs

rodsnhawgs Custom builder. G-ratio basses Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    U.S., WV
    +1

Anthony's methodology is rigorous and challenging, however, there is a definitely a method to his madness...once started, don't question it, just do it the way he prescribes it 'cause he knows where he's going (even if you don't)...you'll soon see how it all begins to fall together.

12. missingflops

missingflops

Mar 26, 2012
    Las Vegas
    I'd add another endorsement for Anthony as a teacher. I think it's abundantly clear that he has a wealth of knowledge, but that alone isn't enough to be a great teacher. My wife is a teacher and I remember once when I was trying to show her how to do something she explained to me that teaching was not about being able to spit out information, it was about being able to understand how the student was processing the information and (here's the trickiest part) adjusting how you explain something so that the student gets the most benefit.

I've had a couple of lessons now with Anthony and also seen him present at clinics and the VW camp. He really does have the ability to explain things in the way that will best suit your needs and he makes sure that the lesson is tailored to you and what you need. His lessons are a great value!

13. KristinBidwell1

KristinBidwell1

Jul 5, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Professional Bassist, Private Instructor
    Yup, Ant is the best teacher on the planet. He's a very serious teacher and you will get so much out of his lessons if you're a serious student. I have such an appreciation for his talents as a teacher and his dedication to his students. If you want tools to help you become a professional musician, I can't think of a better mentor. For those outside of the DC Area, I would highly recommend Skype lessons.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021