1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Legit 1964 or Refinish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Farfetched, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Farfetched

Farfetched

Jan 7, 2009
    Looking at this 64. Worried that it might be refinished. Seller doesn't want to pop the neck so won't be able to see that way. Does the finish look right for u guys?

Attached Files:

2. Seller who doesn't want to take off the neck would be a red flag to me, then again I'm not very trusting.

3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    If the guy is trying to sell a collectible piece, he has to provide some proof. Neck pocket, neck end, pots - the whole sheebang. Lacking that, I say *pass*.

And while that bass *appears* correct to me, it's too thrashed for my tastes.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  4. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    I would be concerned if buyer does not remove neck. If not some kind of certification from a credible vintage expert (Gruhn).
    As for the looks, that thing looks legit to me. Incredible re-finish if that is the case. Very realistic. Pickguard looks right as does the fretboard. The bridge and pickup covers do look new but they may have sat in the case for its lifetime. A pricey item I am sure so If it were me, I would like to be sure it was original. Looks very convincing though.

5. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    If the seller won't remove the neck I'd pass unless the seller has a good return policy. Looks legit though.

6. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    If the seller is asking the going rate for a pre-CBS bass, then he HAS to remove the neck. That's too much money to risk.

Though the photos aren't very good, the bass seems ok. I question the wear pattern on the back of the neck, but then again, the photo is too dark to be conclusive.

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

A great way to tell if it is a refin is to take the neck off... just sayin'.

8. I actually bought this exact bass and have it at home now. It checks out, it's 100% original.

For the record, he was ok with someone taking it apart after the sale & offered a full refund if it didn't check out. he just didn't want people taking his bass apart, as it hasn't been taken apart in a very, very long time.

By the way the bass is incredible, it's a gem.

9. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    ....uhh...could we all see the neck date stamp now.....;)

IMO that bass has some of the best wear I have ever seen. Hopefully it plays as nice as it looks.

10. Oh, and by the way, here's after I got it home:

Mebsjkh.

7SHgsEJ.

By the way, the seller was a nice guy & really cared about the bass.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  11. Just posted pics. Yes, it's a really, really good playing bass. There's a reason it's so worn - it's an amazing bass that has been played & played & played. It is pretty close to needing a fretjob, though... which is why I'm keeping flats on it for now.

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Can we ask what you paid? Scratch that, will you tell us what you paid?

13. Here are some pictures I took when I got it home:

83rFkw6.

w8yLw3W.

pmpebon.

AbfwnjU.

Gecko 5 and Tbone76 like this.
  14. As the owner of an all-original 1964 Sunburst Precision, I can tell you that if that is a refin or a fake, it is a very, very, well-executed one.

Here's mine:

IMG_3857.

IMG_3856.

Tbone76 likes this.
  15. Jesus, God almighty. It should be mandatory that if someone tries a refin on that, they need to automatically be stoned with huge boulders, and then drug to the gallows. She is a beauty, for sure. Nice acquisition, sir.

16. Farfetched

Farfetched

Jan 7, 2009
    Whelp. Looks like I waited too long. Probably would've tried harder if it wasn't on the island. Congrats mactac. Looks like a beaut.

17. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    No one suggested that the bass be refinished. The OP was wondering whether the finish was a relic job.

18. Well thank you. And I agree.

I did have to sell my Pino Palladino bass and a Warwick Thumb to buy this though, so it wasn't a painless acquisition, that's for sure.

19. Davo-LON

Davo-LON

Jun 3, 2014
    OMG

The wear on this bass is uncannily similar to mine. They could be twins!

Davo

20. You can't do that to us & say that without posting pics! Let's see it !