Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Diowulf, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    Yes this topic is about the plastic building blocks that kids play with and you step on every time you walk into a dark room. ;)

My brother and I have collected lots when we were young, but don't collect any more. Someday we might give them to a charity or I thought it would be cool maybe when one of us had a family, to give the legos to our kids. I was wondering if any of you have played with legos when you were younger (or maybe still do now?), and if you did, have you kept yours around over the years, or did you give them away?

Also I was looking at some of our collection, at parts they probably don't make any more. Do you think they'll be worth anything over the years?

2. I don't think they'll be worth much, unless they discontinue alot of what you have, and even then it's a stretch.

By the way, check out:

I hope didn't just derail your thread.
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I still bust out the old tub and build stuff from time to time.

My most recent creations(over a year ago) was an Airship(a la final fantasy) and two lightsabers(half life size)
  4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I had them when I was a kid. But, this was back during the early 70s and when the smaller bricks got pressed together they stayed that way. I still can find little grey and white clusters in the corners of the storage room at my folk's house. Nothing short of atomic fire is going to ever break them down.

Now I have a four-year-old that is nutty over the Bionicle series and has lots of those. Plus he got the new castle from the knight series they introduced. The new stuff is really well engineered and fun to play with.

Ever been to Legoland? It is just north of San Diego. It has some really impressive city-scapes and other things small and large all made from Legos. It gets a little overwhelming. Then, they funnel you through the Lego store on the way out of the park. They stock every Lego thing in creation. It is an expensive egress.

Legos have some really cool applications. The best is from my adventures in scale modeling. You can construct easy jigs and forms. They also make fantastic molds for RTV resin casting. There are a million uses!
  5. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I don't think so. I mean, they are little pieces of plastic that connect together, eh. Maybe, who knows.
  6. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I still ahve a bucket of legos, but I don't play with them anymore. I loved legos when i was a kid.
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

No, but I've been to the original one in Denmark, twice. :D
  8. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Well, I bet the corn dogs taste. . . . . different!
  9. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    Yeah I saw this when I did a search, pretty funny and also amazing.

Sounds interesting, but I have not been there.

I was thinking about getting into legos again, but it might be too expensive for me.
  10. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Uh oh, WR just out nerded the rest of us...
  11. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    This is starting to happen a little too much...
  12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Man I built some pretty friken awesome space basses and stuff.

I had a whole lego world with good guys and bad guys. Societies even.

Man, those were the days. Now I just have a few left standing in my room back in Miami. My kids are going to inherit them.
  13. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    I used to build houses. Then slowly by time, bricks crumbled off, due to my cat thinking it was a rubbing post.

Has anyone ever stood on lego with bare feet?
    It sure does hurt.
  14. Have I ever? OUCH! I was a lego-freak, we had a huge box full of them. I think my parents might still have that box in their basement, I´ll have to ask them.

I made my childhood dream come true last year when I visited Legoland in Denmark. Man, that place is insane, they even have their own airport! I bought a small storage box shaped like a 2x2 lego brick as a souvenir. It´s right here on my desktop, I keep all sorts of small stuff in it; allen wrenches, plugs, adapters, string winder, nail clippers etc.
  15. Loved them as a kid, they are all still up in my cupboard.

The big things i had was a police station and firestation, my sister had a holiday house and hospital. Must have been an emergency theme going on at the time.

I always wanted the pirate ship, the red one not the blue. Red was bigger and had the bad pirates.

My parents wouldnt get it for me though :(
  16. Lego's kick ass.

But god looks pissed.
  17. I'm looking forward to having kids. It's gonna be the perfect excuse for getting back to playing Legos.

"Hey, I'm just playing with the kids!" :D

18. Playing with just Legos? Are you kidding? Since my kids were born(Shaun's 2 and Megan is 5) I have bought every, and I mean EVERY toy, game and watzit that my parents wouldn't get me when I was a kid. My wife claims she now has 3 children. I plead guilty on that one!

Don't limit yourself to Legos and don't wait for children- there is far and away more cool stuff out there for little kids than for maturity deprived adults. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Best part about Legos is wrecking whatever you build with 'em- my son is the king of tiny town destroyers!

19. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Legos freakn rule. I wish when I was a kid they had those cool "kits" where you can build spaceships and whatnot. We just had the colored blocks, but even those were tight. My bro and I would make whole cities and just play for hours. I gotta go with Dave and say that when I have kids they're going to get a crapload of legos and will likely get annoyed with mommy taking them all.
  20. Bass Tranquil

Bass Tranquil

Nov 16, 2003
    I'm not the only dork that makes airships! :bassist: :hyper:

Now I've been derailed from buying bass stuff to go on Ebay for Legos.