1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Leroy Vinegar

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by jpf9, Apr 7, 2011.

1. jpf9

jpf9

Mar 5, 2011
    hey what is the skinny on Mr. Vinegar? recently heard 'Walkin' and was wondering about him...was he a 1 trick pony? big session cat?haven't really heard to much about him in bass history... thnx!

2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I love him. He definitely had a thing and wasn't all things to all people, but man, what a time feel.

Tons of recordings as a side man and a small handful as the leader. One of my secret gems "Maggie's Back in Town" - Howard McGee is worth checking out if you can find it.

Not Ray Brown or Scott LaFaro or someone like Jimmy Garrison who were on really, really important albums, but not to be dismissed either for what he did.

So, you heard something, did you dig it?

By the way, I'm sure there's already an LV thread. There has to be. You might find some good stuff in it. Try searching in this forum.

3. gerry grable

gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010
    Not. . . on really, really important albums, but not to be dismissed either for what he did.

He was on one of the best-selling jazz records of all time. My Fair Ladywith Andre Previn and Shelly Manne. And,unless I'm mistaken, it out-sold any one recording by Ray, Scott or Jimmy.

4. Les McCann & Eddie Harris - Swiss Movement - Live at Montreaux 1969. He murders those grooves.
    I think Portland Oregon is Leroy Vinnegars hometown and they have an annual Leroy Vinnegar Day.

5. Stan Haskins

Stan Haskins

Nov 17, 2005
    NY and Miami
    Serge Chaloff - "Blue Serge" doesn't he have that classic solo on "World on a String"?

Great tone, great time.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021