1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Leslie Emulators!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The BurgerMeister, Apr 21, 2006.

1. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    boss rt-20, line 6 roto-machine...
    anyone used these? is one better than the other?
    i'm trying to decide if i should spend the money or not...
    i'll have one at some point, i'm sure... along with an actual Leslie speaker...
    any opinions?
    :help:
    :eyebrow:

2. My only experience of Lesie cabs was in dealing with complaints about the noise. The bands put their Leslie Units outside the hall so that they could mic them up for the PA, and the neighbours complained. Any synthesised Leslie sound has got to be an improvement over that.

3. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

While I do own a Leslie, the best emulator I've ever heard is the Hughes & Kettner Rotosphere. Pricy, but very very good.

4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    MXR Phase-90 set to max speed :bag:

Ok I am kidding... it sorta sounds like it... when lost in the mix...

5. +1

i once saw a guy with an electric violin and the rotosphere in a folkrock band and he could really get that to sound like a B3...very cool
    another user of the rotosphere is Charlie Hunter. Listen to anything he does, and if it sounds like a B3, thats actually Charlie on his guitar (same with the bass!)

that Boss leslie sim looks cool, i don't know about sound, that that thing is the middle is addicting!

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    While I don't have personal experience, I have read of custom boxes where a rotating speaker is enclosed in a sealed, reflection-damped cab with a mic inside. The input you feed it is the output of a small amp head, and it would have a mic-level XLR output. That way you get a for-real rotating speaker sound, but without the huge size or excess noise of a real Leslie.