1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

lesson learned courtesy of traben

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rptrsn2, Apr 20, 2010.

1. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    :crying:I traded a squire the other day for a traben even up. i should have known better to figure just because a bass cost more it would be a better bass. the finger board is seperating on this, the electronics are extremely noisey, and it over all sounds like crap. geuss i should look at the upside i almost bought a havoc 5 before i got my p bass, dodged a bullet there. hanser customer service is non existant. hopefully some kid will think this looks cool and i can trade up for something of higher quality like a first act or rogue. i miss my old squire.

2. pica

pica Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Did you even look at it or play it before you traded for it. :meh:

3. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    yep, had to have the neck glued temporarily or something,which i will fix again properly. as far as the noise i'll fix that too, the point of this is that none of this should be a issue on whats supposed to be a mid level bass with no evidence of abuse. i have othe squires and junk laying around many years older than this p.o.s that held up better. and for any companies customer service to basically tell you " oh well sorry, maybe find some parts on ebay" is completely unacceeptable. at least i did not pay good money for this or the bass i traded for it. just hoping to save someone else the mistake of doing that. it is pretty though.lol

4. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Endorsing Artist:
    Weird. Everyone that I've known with a Traben thought they were awesome.

5. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    I have a Traben Array and I love it. The customer service should go through B.C. Rich. When I had to called them about my tuning pegs (only problem I've had so far and it's been six months so we'll see) they were quick to respond and tell me exactly where to go as well as what I needed to bring (for warranty issues).

idk where I'm going with this but I felt it was releavant....

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Both of mine are absaloutly perfect, one bing a four string version of the OP's, couldn't be happier with them.

Pics of the damage?

7. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    013. 011.

8. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Woah, that is bad.

Should be fixable though, with glue and clamps, I'd ask in the luthiers corner.

9. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    My Traben is awesome and the one time i needed to call for service, they were quick to respond and were a great help.

10. Kragma

Kragma

Nov 7, 2009
    Ashland, Ky
    I can't help but think that's not a manufacturing or design defect, it's a handling defect.

11. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Yup, I emailed Traben with questions, got a reply straight away from Todd Rockfield.

12. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    no, its not.

13. I own three Trabens and they are all top notch (My Array Obsession 5 string is an absolute dream and is my main player over all the other basses i own)

mestagepocketlight.

Me rocking my Obsession 5!

mybabiesinternet.

newspaltfront.

I think all brands available on the market have quality control issues from time to time....so why is it everybody seems to pick on the new guy in the block....or pointy basses constantly?

To the O.P......sorry your experience with Traben has been bad thus far...Everytime i have E-mailed Traben i get a very quick response from Tod Rockfield....

14. Just a few questions:

Did you do this trade with a shop or an individual?

Is this Traben used or new?

If this is a used instrument and did not come with a transferable warranty then Traben really has no responsability. If it came from a shop then the shop is most likely the shady party. If it came from an individual that would be who screwed you. It is most likely a handling issue from the shop or prior owner if it a used instrument. If it were a quality issue the prior owner or shop would have sent it back to Traben with a warranty claim. Or it's possible that you were hoodwinked with a B-stock instrument. It may not have made it through Trabens QC department and was bought as B-stock. Then it was traded to you. Not trying to call you a liar at all... just pointing out a few things things that you may not have thought of.

15. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    i,ve thought of all those things and also thought that i,ve got an ancient squier thats even been in water(long story) left at a bar for months to bass around on open mic nights abd sat in a unclimate controlled storage space for over a year and the fretboard is still attached. i have called fender just recently on a concern with my p bass which is a 1996 and they were very helpfull. i was not looking for traben to send me a new neck or bass, i was simply wanting to ask some questions and find out about parts availibilty that i may PURCHASE to repair this bass, but the conversation did not get that far befors i was simply told " oh well sorry,go check ebay for parts" in those exact words. i'm sorry but that is freaking rediculous no matter how old the bass is. If you are a traben fan i'm sorry, but i will never purchase anything from them. I prolly could even get past the neck issue if it wasn't for the we just don,t give a damn attitude on the phone. i will say i did not talk to anyone named todd, but at this point have no intrest in talking to anyone there. i have a 10 year old who likes to keep picking up my fender p to play with, i'm simply giving the traben to him to play as he likes it.once again i apologize if i've have offeneded anyone who owns a traben on here but if you have anything to do with the company or hanser music group that apology does not extend to you. sorry for the rant.

16. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    never seen or heard of one with that kind of problem. All the trabens Ive seen and examined where very good to excellent qaulity. You didnt return it for refund/replacement for badly defective because??

17. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    So if you drop a bass and snap the headstock off, it's a manufacturing defect?:eyebrow:

How did you miss that if you got to see and play the bass before trading for it? Why would you trade for a bass that sounds like crap?

Fact of the matter is, if the original owner left the bass in his garage and the heat got to it, that could happen. My Acoustic bass spent 2 weeks in my car in the Arizona heat, and the fretboard started to come off.

It's a handling problem from the previous owner. Since you weren't the original owner, Traben customer service had no obligation to send you anything as a replacement. Considering it's quite obviously a handling issue, their warranty wouldn't cover instrument abuse anyway. Plus, they may not even have spare parts available - they're a smaller company.

I'd either contact the guy you traded your Squier to and demand to trade back, or check out the lutherie forum and get the neck issue fixed, then upgrade the electronics, or at the very least, fix the wiring and shield the cavity (it's probably a simple grounding issue anyway).

18. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    Yeah. Sounds/looks to me like the previous owner didn't take care of it.

It could be a QC issue, who knows, but I doubt it.

19. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    apparently you didn.t read my last post. 1st- there was no apparent damage from being dropped or so mch as a scratchon it. 2nd- maybe it wasn't handled properly, but i can,t believe that it was handled any worse than how i admittedly treated an old squie and it held up better. the gap was not there when i got it,it had been fixed to last a couple days i guess. 3rd- i said i can take care of the electronics easily enuogh. 4th- despite all that i said i could get past if it wasn,t for the crappy service.the bass concerns may not be there fault, but we never got to how old this bass is or if i even wanted to try to make a warranty claim. this bass could have been 2 days out of the box for all the #%^&* knew that answered the phone there. and are you seriously gonna try to tell me that hanser music group is a smaller outfit than rondo or avatar, both of whom have been very helpful and courteous when i,ve called with concerns LONG out of warranty. THERE IS NO EXCUSE TO BE THAT RUDE TO A CUSTOMER NO MATTER WHAT SIZE OF COMPANY. so for all the info they had to this point they very well could have been telling me to take my brand new $700 dollar bass and go find ebay parts and fix it your self. if i can get past the anger from that call maybe i should try to talk to this tod rockfeild, if he is high in this company maybe he shuold know about this call. the bottom line of what i wanted from them was to see if i could purchase a neck for this bass or if one from another model would fit to keep it all traben