Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lessons aren't an option, soooooo...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bassthumpa, Mar 17, 2005.

1. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Hey folks, this is more of an introduction of sorts than anything else...

I just got my first real bass, and it looks like I have to go the self taught route for a while. As much as I'd like to get a teacher (and I know it would be the best way to go), I simply can't afford to right now.

I'm not a complete n00b however, just incredibly rusty and in some need of formal training. I played the upright nearly a decade ago, starting in orchestra, and moving on to jazz in high school. Reading sheet music won't be a problem, I'll just have to take time to reaquaint myself with it. I wasn't taught many of the fundamentals in high school that I probably should have learned... class was pretty much "go get your ax and lets jam". Give me my key sigs/changes in a song for the first few go-rounds and I took it from there. No real techniques were taught, though.

So once I refresh what I already know, I want to get a good foundation and do this the right way as best as I can on my own until I can get real lessons. To start, my practicing is pretty much gonna be scales, scales, scales, scales, scales, scales, scales, scales, scales, scales, scales, scales, and more scales. I know I'll need to learn when and how to use different hand/fret positioning, and find some good finger exercises.

This forum has been a big help just searching around in advance... I've been checking out Bassbooks.com and Wheat's BassBook. I also picked up the WB Bass Basics DVD set to have a A/V aid for basic techniques. If you guys have any other suggestions on books, DVDs, or general techniques feel free to chime in and help out. I'll be keeping an eye on this forum for helpful hints.

Thanks... for... I dunno, nothing. LOL!!

-MJ

2. Tnavis

Tnavis

Feb 25, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey, welcome to Talkbass!

I'd recommend getting a hold of Serious Electric Bass by Joel di Bartolo. It's an amazing book that really digs into scale and chord concepts.

As far as lessons go, stop into a local music store and talk with some of the bass instructors/players there. You'd be surprised how many bassists would be willing to check out your technique and give you some pointers for free.

3. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Welcome to Talkbass. :)

If you can afford even one lesson it'd be better than no lesson at all. At least you'd be able to get some basics down (or refresh your memory since you mentioned you played some DB) and be shown some proper technique.