Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lest we forget...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Toasted, May 8, 2005.

1. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
  2. you mean the political conscience we're not allowed to post?

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    That’s really an argument of semantics. The total lack of recognition for what is probably the greatest day in modern history is dumbfounding.

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    A lot of us, especially the younger generation doesn't realise how good our lives are. More then 30 million died to secure the way we live today, and that deserves some serious credit.

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Here sir, we shall agree.

:)

6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    +1

7. And I'm supposed to bow down ? Pfft. We would be doing the same thing if the time comes.

8. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I like this attitude.

"Heck no I'm not gonna be respectful to veterans! I could do their job!"

You don't have to lick their boots, but you don't have to be a snotty punk about it, either.

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    :scowl:

...talk is cheap, would you have gotten off the LST on June 6, 1944 and run across a beach with no cover while guys in pillboxes rained down .50 bullets and mortar shells??? This I'd like to see...I don't think I'd like to have done that, so I'm certainly very thankful to those that did, and to those that lay their lives on the line every day to see to it that I don't have to do so.

No one is suggesting you "bow down" but you certainly need to show respect for those that made the world such as it is today, which affords you the ability to get on the internet anonymously and make a fool of yourself.

:rolleyes:

10. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA
    You forgot to say thank you, but you're welcome anyway. ;)

11. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I hear the Marines are looking for fellas with your go-get-'em attitude.

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Thats one of the stupidest friggin posts I've ever seen in my life. Sadly, in the space of 50 or so years, we have gone from "The Greatest Generation", to spoiled brats that post crap like that. My father served in WW2 (yep..he was pretty old when I was born!) , and my mother was a child on the British coast whose entire town got bombed to heck and back, and I couldn't be prouder.

13. couldn't agree more

14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    +1,We lack perspective and we have NO REAL KNOWLEDGE of History. More men died in the "mop-up" operations at Okinowa then in the whole war on Terror, including 911! You couldn't be more right about the SPOILED BRAT GENERATION!

15. Others have adequately expressed how stupid this is, so I won't try. But, in any case, your lack of respect is absolutely appalling.

I know that I certainly don't possess the strength to go to war and make the kind of sacrifices required of men my age during WWII. I'll likely never be able to claim myself as half as brave as those who served all those years ago. My dad recently gave me my great uncle's purple heart (he was KIA in WWII), and I'll be proud to give it to my son one day. All I can say is that my generation may be spoiled, but some of us have a sense of what went on before us.

16. you're damn right ! unfortunately my generation ( i'm not very proud to be a part of this generation to be honest with you ) absolutely lacks respect for this brave men and women. They would all cry like little babies if they had to do the same. I think this is something that we can all agree : These people deserve our respect

17. Andy Cleaver

Andy Cleaver A show of hands....

Dec 16, 2004
    England, Midlands
    Same as people have said above, I'm not sure I would have had the same courage as a lot of the people who put their lives on the line. The way your post suggests that what they did was nothing you wouldn't do it could be taken very disrespectively :rollno:!

18. With all applicable respect, sir :rollno:, I doubt it. You see my Father, Stepfather, and Father-in-law, all served during WWII. The mere fact that you would have the audacity to make such a misguided statement proves that you are in fact not fit to lick the blood and mud from their boots.

And on the behalf of the three veterans mentioned above: to the continent of Europe....."You're welcome!" :cool:

(now back to your regularly scheduled programming)

........Jim

19. And your point is? If these people had not sacrificed soooo much during ww2 you would most likely be a slave or some nazi's b(*&. This world would have been a much different place by the time you were born. They laid down their lives for more than just family, or even country. They did this to preserve the very ideals and lifestyles we take for granted. If a time like that ever comes again I hope our generation or the current generation can step up to the plate. In the meantime... have a little respect please.

20. Back on the original topic of the thread, let's not forget VE day, as it is a very important date in history for the world. It marks the end of a large part of a terrible war, and the fall of a great example of tyranny. Here's a salute to the people that made this possible.

[​IMG]