1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Let's Work Through Dave Schools' Tone Here

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sufenta, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    How does Dave Schools get this massive, haunting tone here especially in the first four minutes?

but nothing listed jumps out at me as what I'm hearing in his tone unless it's just as simple as the Quantum/Ampeg combo and his hands.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It's the pick.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sounds like he's added a splash of reverb to it, too.

4. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    Those Modulus's with the Barts have that sound.

Add some good delay/reverb, and you've got it.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    There's reverb, but there's no way of knowing just by listening if it's from his rig, added in production or simply ambience from the room. Otherwise it's what I consider a pretty standard tone, I use that sound routinely when I really want to cut through.

6. Dantreige

Dantreige

Oct 22, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I thought it sounded like new strings (rounds), a pick and a chorus set to zero rate and depth just to fatten the sound.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Tru dat, but he is a pretty big (pardon the pun) effects guy and has reverb and delay on his pedalboard.

8. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Around 2:30 the tone really starts to sit in the mix and grind like an ampeg. I wasnt a big fan of the first part with the pick and chorus/verb thing he had going on.

but I think the answer to your question is just simply the SVT+Q6+barts = awsome tone. Dave being an awsome player doesnt hurt either.

9. Sufenta

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Thanks to all for the input. Seems that 90% or so of that tone is the Quantum...then the Ampeg....then effect(s).....then the pick......then the hair.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Actually, most of that tone is Dave Schools himself ;)

BWorm likes this.
  11. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    Bumping an old thread here after doing a search for one of my favorite bassists.... this is from the Wikipedia article from Dave Schools concerning the "Dave Schools Foundation":

"The foundation as they are sometimes referred to, is a group of fans who travel the country to follow the band and witness Dave Schools tame dragons with his funk master bass."

Win.

12. akane3

akane3

Dec 20, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Schools is so nasty. That q5 really hits some frequencies that make my spine tingle. I love seeing WSP. Thinking about buying a Q5. There is a pawn shop here that is selling one with Barts for $1300!!!!!! I am having trouble holding back.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Pick, new roundwounds, treble boost, heavy reverb, a little chorus.

14. luzxkm

luzxkm

May 15, 2013
    I wasnt a big fan of the first part with the pick and chorus/verb thing he had going on. [​IMG]

15. tlaubs

tlaubs

Jun 28, 2010
    St. Louis
    Hey, I was at this festival for my bachelor party. Made for a good weekend

16. The reverb you hear is actually a mild slap back delay from a Boss DM-3 analog delay. Boss does not make that pedal anymore. He also has a bunch of rack unit stuff that gives him that razor sharp tone while keeping that bottom end to drop those bombs of his as well as the Modulus Q6 with Bartolinis like some of you said, it also has an active Aguilar preamp so he can control his bass, treble, mid scoop and pickup blend at his fingertips. Only reason I know this is because I do play a Modulus q6 with those specs and I've gotten to go up on stage at a Memphis show and being a bass player I checked out all his poopie. He has a MOOG lo-pass filter and a boomerang phrase sampler as well. Schools for President!!

17. Sufenta

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Thanks for the input. Old(er) thread, but still wowed by his tone. Super cool you got to check out his rig up close.

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Tone is largely Modulus Quantum strung with rounds and played with pick, FX + mid scoop added in the beginning.
    Style: 100% player

19. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    That's a Q6, but they basically sound the same.

+1, that's definitely some delay in the beginning.