LFO-controlled Auto Wah

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Thunderscreech, Aug 26, 2008.

1. What I am looking for is an Auto Wah that uses an LFO to control the sweep. Like a treadle that rocks back and forth on it's own, sorta.

I know EHX built one into the Frequency Analyzer, but I don't want the rest of that pedal for the one effect.

Does such a thing exist? A search of the effects forum was inconclusive.

2. The big Digitech MultiFXs can do that - I have a brain-damaged GNX-1 that mostly works, and you can set that up on it.

3. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Boise, ID, USA
    Wait, doesn't an autowah use an LFO, by definition?

If it didn't, it'd be an envelope filter. :eyebrow:

The two are often mixed up and/or grouped together. But in discussions around here, at least, auto-wah pedals are LFO-based, and envelope filters can sound similar, but are not LFO dependent - they respond to playing dynamics, instead.

4. Well, I don't know that Wikipedia can safely be considered an authority on the subject, but it says that an auto-wah is controlled by either an envelope filter or an LFO, with the envelope filter probably being the more common. The example it gives of an LFO-controlled is the Boss AW-2. Hope that helps...

Brian

5. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Boise, ID, USA
    Yeah, I saw that. Wikipedia broadens the concept of an auto-wah to include circuits which feature envelope followers and not LFOs. But at least around here, the trend is to treat LFO-based and envelope-based ones separately.

It's an issue of semantics, but at least when it comes to searching for info on TB, using simply "autowah" or "auto-wah" should be good enough to find info on just the LFO-based stuff.

6. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    The AW-2 does do this, but my experience was a huge drop in low end. The MXR Bass Auto Q is the best you can get for the money! Fantastic pedal that can be an envelope filter OR an auto-wah. I've bought and sold 2 of them in the past - I love the pedal, but just never can find a use for it so have had to sell it on both times.

7. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    jacques trinity will do autowah (LFO), envelope, and foot controller wah.

8. Okay. That really clears things up. I've had it explained to me 4 different ways by GC employees, and people at my local music store didn't really use those types of effects much (and we don't have a big demand, what with the scene being bluegrass, folk music, reggae, blues, and indie kids), so it wasn't really clear to begin with.

I also need to remember the Search function is only as good as the words put into it...

9. Guyatone ULTRON.

10. I have a pigtronix LFO/Envelope phaser and I control LFO speed with an expression pedal. SO speed of the LFO for the auto wah is what your going for?

11. Exactly. Like a phaser, but with frequency sweep. I suppose i might be able to make some sort of frankenpedal mod or something...

12. Lapicide

Lapicide

Feb 19, 2008
    The Electro Harmonix worm has what you describe. Can be found for about $100 US.
    "Modulation madness! The Worm is an all-analog multi-effects processor featuring Phaser, Tremolo, Vibrato, and the never-before-heard Modulated Wah. At the heart of The Worm is a specially designed tone-bending engine which creates groundbreaking oscillatory effects."

......Lapicide

13. Lapicide

Lapicide

Feb 19, 2008
    Might also check out, http://www.subdecay.com/pm.htm
    I too have been interested in a modulated wah. As just above I mentioned the EHX Worm, which I have and like for it's versatility and price. I have been looking for possibly a little more control in the modulated wah area. There was a copilotfx gyroscope listed on the buy adds. I haven't been able to find out much about it, other than a modulated wah. I searched a bit more and found the subdecay prometheus. I'm curious to personal experiences with it. Please post if/when you do go with something. Thanks......Lapicide

14. My Subdecay Quasar with the feedback knob past noon is a very good auto-wah.

15. I seem to remember people telling me that the MXR Auto Q does this

16. JES

JES Supporting Member

Pigtronix phaser does exactly this. Also you can set up the Chunk Systems unit that way, and a lot of the higher end envelope effects have an envelope in that you could connect to an LFO for some sick sounds.

17. shineofleo

shineofleo

Jun 8, 2009
    So I searched and dig this up:

Any good advice for choose an LFO-controlled wah?

Actually I want to add a delay before the wah , to create something, well, "won't get fooled again"-ish feeling stuff.

Please, enlight me!

18. You know what, when I posted this thread, I didn't know what I was talking about.

An auto wah is just what it says. It's automatic, not envelope controlled.

I was but a n00b when I did this.

19. shineofleo

shineofleo

Jun 8, 2009
    But what you said was exactly right: Auto wah is not triggered by envelope, or foot pedal, so it must be controlled by oscillator.

Can I ask if you found what you were looking for then?

20. MXR's Bass Auto Q.