1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Light 1*15 cab required

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rob867, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Rob867

Rob867

Aug 17, 2007
    I'm after a 1*15 cab, but I need one that is fairly light as I live in a third floor flat and there is no lift.

Can anyone recomend a good one? I'm looking for something less than 65 lbs (30Kg).

Thanks,
    Rob

2. Mark Bass or Schroeder do lightweight cabinets.

3. http://www.lowdownsound.com/customcabinets.htm

But......do you have any more info? Like price, sound, etc. I assume you may be from across the pond (from me at least), with the use of the word "flat", so are you looking to find something local, or are you willing to have something shipped? LDS is great, but there are in Detroit, and I'm sure shipping wouldn't be cheap.

4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I love my Epifani UL115 (series 2). 43 lbs and with very thick bottom, no inherent tendency to emphasize the mids but can easily do this if pushed with eq, crystalline highs with tweeter on, but horn can be adjusted from off to obnoxiously present as desired. I play mainly rock and blues. My guitarist picked it up for the 1st time after our last gig Tuesday, and laughed at the difference between what he expected and actually felt. I have not heard the Schroeder cabs, but I do know that they only offer 10s, 12s and combinations of these. I've heard they're more of a rock cab (more inherent midrange in the voice), whereas the Epi can easily be used for jazz as well. The Epi cabs are large boxes though (check website for exact dimensions).

5. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Also, the Epifani PS115 is 53 lbs.

6. Do you need full range? Or is this a bottom range cab to supplement a top box?

If you are inclined to build your own, a very light cab can be done with an Eminence 3015LF Neo driver, and a properly braced cab made from quality 1/2" plywood.

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
  8. Rob867

Rob867

Aug 17, 2007
    I play in a pop/rock band more towards pop than rock. So I'm not really after something with a massive low end. I need the mid's and high's to cut through.

I live in the UK, so ideally the cab needs to be on sale there. Quite a lot of US shops won't ship to the UK. Could probably afford £300 ($600) at a push. However $600 dollar cabs in the USA tend to end up costing a lot more than £300 pounds in the uk!

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Disregard the Carvins then, probably. I don't know if they are available there. But the concept may apply to something that is.

10. seakamp

seakamp Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    Build yourself or have someone else do the woodwork for ya... Fitzmaurice omni top with a neo driver!

11. THSL

THSL

Jun 3, 2007
    New York, NY
  12. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Bag End S-15D yet. It's 43 lbs and sounds GREAT!

13. chrisx666

chrisx666

Oct 15, 2006
    Yorkshire UK
    Warwick WCA115 is available in the UK. GB£327 including shipping. 21kg / 400W.

14. Then why do you want a 15" cab? This is definitely not a match for your requirements.

As noted above, for the DIY'er the Omni 10 is a perfect match for your requirements. It is full range, with spendid mids and highs, but not a huge bottom. With two Neo S2010 drivers, it is very light weight. There are builders in the UK.

15. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    The Epi UL and PS 15 isn't really what you called MASSIVE low end but it does have a healthy low end and a full range throuhout the mids and highs. You might want to concider the Epi 210, you can carry it by one handle on the side of the cab up the stairs or an Epi PS112, it'll give a little more low end than the UL112.

Being you're in the UK, the Gallery should have a good selection to choose from.

16. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    My cello-playing friend has a Hartke VX series 1x15 that weighs about 50 pounds - much less than it looks like it would weigh. It even feels lighter than the Hartke head that he has.

17. If your looking for mids and highs, the 15" driver ain't the choice. It is highly directional (beaming) at much lower frequency than a 10" driver.

15" is just the wrong choice for your described requirements.

18. Warwick do a 1x12 that might be suitable. Basscentre £279. 17kgs.

Basscentral in the US will ship to the UK. I got my Schroeder Mini 12 from there. I had to pull them and haggle there original shipping quote, but even with import duty it came to just over £420 for a brilliant lightweight great sounding cab.

19. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    Euphonic Audio has some very light weight cabs that might be ideal for you and there is a dealer in England, I believe it is Overwater Bass Emporium. Try the Standard or M-Line Wizzy 1x12. Both weigh around 30lbs. Both are very effecient.

20. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Bag End S15D or S15XD, you'll have to figure out if they are available there.

It is by far my favorite 1x15 cab.......Not super light but very compact for managing stairs...