Light gauge strings.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ryan Atchison, Oct 16, 2016.

1. I play an Epiphone thunderbird classic pro. I just got new strings a few months ago. Will lighter gauge strings give me a more Twangy and almost Geddy-like sound. Thanks!

2. Fondsdale

Fondsdale

Sep 30, 2015
    Oz
    Not really. I find string gauge has relatively little impact on tone compared to string construction and the material used. Geddy uses Rotosound Swingbass 66 Stainless Steel in 45-105. He used to use light strings (30-90) in the 80's. Use whatever gauge your're comfortable with.

Remyd likes this.
  3. Thank you for your reply. That's funny because those are the strings I bought a few months ago!

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Gauge has less to do with twang than overall string design. Geddy uses brand new steel roundwounds, which are usually very twangy. Don't know much about Birds, but I imagine you could get some twang out of them. Just don't expect it to be a dead nuts match to Geddy and you should be OK.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022