1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

LIGHT rig suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cheezewiz, Apr 10, 2009.

1. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Alright. I'm accepting it. I'm almost 45. I have a bad back, and pending an MRI could be looking at back surgery in the very near future. I've had back problems since I was in my late 20s.

I need to liquidate the gear I have, and get a LIGHTWEIGHT setup.
    I have several things in mind....

maybe......

GB Shuttle 6.0 with two GB Shuttle 12 cabs. Ed Friedland HIGHLY recommended this one to me.

Markbass LM II with 2 MB light 12s, or some other light cabs

GK MB2 500 with whatever cabs I find.

New TC electronic setup. Their new small head and a 212 and a 210 cab. This may exceed the high end of price I can or will go though.

I'm VERY curious about the Schroeder Light 1515 cab. Are you kidding me? a SMALL 40 lb 2/15 cab?!?!?! How's it sound?

Here's a bit of info about my likes...style...

I play in a busy 60's 70's band, with a few forays into the 80s. Everything from Johnny Cash to Motown to Disco to good old Classic Rock. We play a pretty big varietyof music, at a pretty big variety of venues, from small rooms, to large outdoor festivals.
    I like fairly old school tone, although I do have to have SOME high end, especially on the disco stuff.

Whatta you experienced guys such as myself, recommend?

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    The GB/MB debate will always be...

...and it comes down to really what you want to hear and is probably really worth test driving both I ended up with the MB because it's nice and warm, and 'musical' rather than clinical, but still has beef.

The small light cab thing of course has Soooo many options these days, but I'm not sure that anyone has nailed small/light and 'traditional' to my ears. They're all a bit more clean and crisp than that. I'd love to find a nice 15 that was very portable but also could give the old world vibe a bit.

3. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I did have a MB combo with a single 12 for a while, and really liked the sound of that amp. I am definitely an MB fan.

To the first person that is going to post, "do a search", you may very kindly bite me. I'm looking for specific comments on the gear I mentioned.

4. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    I love GB's NeoX 12" based cabs. singles and doubles both sound great.

I own a Shuttle 6.0 (currently waiting for it to be repaired actually....3 weeks and counting...sigh...) and do not like its preamp tone, and 99% of the time run a Tech 21 VT Bass pedal as my actual preamp to beef up the tone.

I use a friend's Little Mark II occasionally and feel that it gives a smoother cleaner tone, that lacks that tubey texture, but also a more full, warm, yet responsive bottom compared to the Shuttle, even when i try to adjust the low end on the Shuttle with the knobs. it does not ahve the same feature set as the Shuttle, such as the front mute, headphone out, etc... but these are minor...but nice. the DI's on both are good. in comparison, i'm often tempted to call my Shuttle thin and wiry sounding...but thats only in comparison. its not a bad tone. i feel like GB EQed the Shuttle so that you can leave it flat and crank the volume without worrying about dialing down the lows in certain situations?

if you like the old school tone that im thinking of, i'm thinking you might prefer a Little Mark II over a Shuttle 6.0, but both sound better than most things i've heard.

5. i'm in the same bad-back boat and am currently unloading a 400+ and powerhouse cabs to downsize to the walkabout scout and an extension cab. they sound great, very tube-like. plus i've only read positive things here on talkbass about them and their versatility.

also for what it's worth, a friend of mine has the 2x15 Schroeder lightweight cab and swears by it. i was amazed at how big that cab sounds.

6. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    For me, the Genz Neox112t (not the Shuttle 112) gave a great old-school vibe, but still had highs if you dial the tweeter up a bit. A few of us have called this cab "the best 115 I've ever heard" because it recalls the tone most seem to associate with a 115, but with more clarity and versatility. They are larger than the Shuttle 12's, but not that heavy (33 pounds). I think a Shuttle 6.0, or Shuttle MAX 6.0, with a couple of the Neox112t's would serve very well.

That new Schroeder mini 115 is interesting as well. Not sure what it sounds like, or if any of the Schroeder ultralight stuff does "old school" very well. Maybe some others will chime in on that ...

The cool part is that there are a ton of options in the ultralight world now. I'm sure you'll be able to find something to meet your weight and tone goals.

Best Wishes,
    Liam

7. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Thanks guys. Just the type of info I was looking for. "The best 15 I've ever heard" sounds like it's right up my alley. I may have to check out those GB 12s.

8. dbassman59

dbassman59

Dec 19, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    I have the Shuttle 6.0 12T and I play the same music as you. I always DI through the FOH. This amp is perfect on stage. Plenty loud with out blowing the rest of the guys away. The EQ is very simple. I adjust the EQ to fit every venue and I find it very easy to dial in the sound I like.

My first A/B test was the Mark vs. Scout... The Scout won hands down in terms of tone. The next was my in-depth A/B of the Scout vs. the GB ... here's a link http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7106574#post7106574

A couple of other things ... you may want to watch this Youtube video ... It really demonstrates a lot of the features you may enjoy

9. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Buddy of mine has the MB LMII with a 12" Bergie NEO cab and it's ridiculously light yet still very toneful. I'd get that plus a second 12" Bergie NEO for bigger gigs. You won't be moving tons of air but most clubs yell at you for over-amping anyway plus what you hear will be sweet tone.
    I've been following the Carvin BX500 topic closely because I'm a fan of Carvin's new solid state amps, but I'll wait a little while before considering a purchase of the BX500. Seems as if they're struggling with the same "micro amp" issues a few other companies have struggled with. :eyebrow:

10. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    well, I HAD a BX 500 until someone decided to steal it Monday!

11. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    3 things you could do:

1. lighter amp: markbass makes the lightest best combo imho. really good quality. Or if you don't need to carry a cab around and can use a direct out and a monitor, or an existing cab setup, just get the mesa walkabout and take the (detachable) head with you when you need to travel, it is only 13 pounds and is relatively small - that's easy to carry!

2. lighter bass: short scale, like a mustang. I play a mustang, and I can get a great old school tone out of it (playing it with a mesa walkabout, with the tube driven pre-amp which probably explains a lot of the tone). The mustang is sooooo light you will hardly feel like you are wearing a bass at all. You're not tired at the end of 4 or 5 hours standing up at in the slightest... no feeling of weight on your shoulders = no back pain. fun to play too.

3. get some exercise to build up the back muscles. yoga does wonders for back issues. I have back problems too, and started doing bikrams yoga a few years ago, and it really helps. Other types of yoga I'm sure would help just as much.

12. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Well, as far as bass weight, I'm as good as it's going to get there. My Dingwall Afterburner is 8.2 lbs.

13. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    That's a bummer! What happened?
    Did you have to get the "mod" done to yours? I know there was a serial number range which needed a mod... I hope Carvin's done with that phase because people seem to love the sound.

14. bassman312

bassman312

Oct 19, 2006
    You should really look into the TecAmp stuff. Don't know how deep your wallet is but TecAmp stuff is top notch
    www.Tecamp.de

Sean

15. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Yamaha's selling a Super Light bass at MF.com for dirt cheap right now and people seem to dig the tone. 7 pounds.

16. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Hey Pat!

Sorry to hear about the rip off.

Just a couple of comments. First, I would avoid the GK M2-500. Do a search.. that's a mess at this point.

I would HIGHLY recommend, if you can wait another few weeks, checking out the new LMTube. My guess is, that one has your name on it. And while the guys coming into the micro amp deal recently seem to be having some trouble, the MB stuff seems totally rock solid. I believe the LMTube sells for $699.. same size as the LMII, but with a BUNCH of improvements (mute switch, better safety power amp compression, full featured DI, fully blendable tube (totally in, totally out, or anything in between), etc.

It looks very impressive.

The Shuttle 6.0 is quite nice too, but just doesn't seem to have the ooomph of the MB stuff, based on quite a few GTG's. Nice though.. bright and punchy, versus the more full and fat tone of the LM.

I have not played the TC stuff, but the reviews are at best lukewarm... lot's of features, lower than expected power, thin sounding cabs (too many 'it's really loud, I wish it would handle the B string better' comments). If you read between the lines of the nice Bass Player review this month, it's pretty mediocre.

Regarding the Schroeder 1515, I haven't played that, but given the baffle design and no tweeter, I'm not sure about that. The 1515L+ KILLS though

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Pat, the good news is that you now have a ton of lightweight choices. The bad news it that you'll probably have to get out there and check them out for yourself.

IME the LMII (my main amp for a couple of years now) and F1, the Genz Benz Shuttles and the GK MB2-500 (I have a friend who's been gigging one for a couple of months with various cabs) can all easily do the job you described and more. For cabs you have even more choices. Other than my main Nahas rig (which is no longer available anyway) I use a Schroeder 1210L, an older Tech Soundsystems 212 I got from Quadzilla (very hard to find, very surprising for such a small package), a Bag End coax stack (S15X-D or S15-D) with a coax S10X-D 1-10 (rare) on top or an EA VL110 stack, all ~40 lb. or less, all sound great, all load in easily. The easiest load in of all is my Ampeg Portabass 212 which I was pleasantly surprised to find works quite well. Lightweight and it has a built-in cart. Pull up the handle, set the amp on top, bass in a bag, one trip load in.

The new Schroeder 1515L might be right up your alley, if it's an overachiever like my 1210L. I noticed it doesn't have a horn but the range goes up to 14khz so who knows?

Good luck.

18. Hopefully you can check out some of the numerous options out there. I bought the GB Shuttle 6.0-12T a while back, and I love it. Last night's gig was probably the best example of it's value...not so much from a sound standpoint, but of physical footprint. (Although it sounded great, which was obviously why I bought it.) I was mashed in a corner, on the left side of a baby grand piano, with the only spot for the amp under the piano. Worked like a charm, and at 32lbs it was easily to move into place. Victory was mine. :D

I've considered the extension cab, but thus far haven't needed it, although I have used the head with both my 310 and 410 Epi cabs for slightly larger venues/louder bands. That was also another factor in my buying decision. I love the modularity and flexibility of this rig.

All the best with your decision...

19. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Ken, I was JUST reading your posts on the LMTube. That does sound RIGHT up my alley. The Schro 1515L was exactly the cabinet I was talking about. Tell me more.....

20. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I've never heard the 1515L. That 14K that Brad quotes is a typo, since there is no tweeter. From posts I've read about it, it's a more old school tone, with more low mid punch than a typical large 215 cab. So, just like the 1212 is the Schroeder equivalent of a standard 1212 with tweeter box (much smaller, just as loud, but much tighter and more low mid bumped), my understanding is that the 1515 is the Schroeder equivalent of a 2 x 15 cab. I believe Jorg also has a 1515+, which is a larger cab with a tweeter and a downfiring 15 and front firing 15, which sounds intresting.

The 115L+ is a very small, traditional front mounted 115 Neo with tweeter that is smaller and lighter than an Epi112UL and about twice as loud! It's voiced more like a super mega 110 though... tight, growly and punchy, so that's probably not your thing. It's become my 'when I need to be loud but the venue is a pain in the **s' cab, and it's never let me down. It won't rumble, but my gosh is it loud!

That 1515L+ (the bigger one) might be right up your alley, but I again have not heard one myself.