Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

light weight tube distortion solution?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aenema, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    man i love overdriving my fender 300 ps but it literally weighs around 120 pounds and theres no way im lugging that around. even though there is nothing like hearing over driven tubes and feeling the breeze at the same time... my back has somethin to say about it. :p is there a light weight or portable solution for something that sounds close to true tube over drive?

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Traynor YBA200.

3. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    hmm 44 pounds. not bad at all for an all tube head. i was thinkin maybe a pedal or preamp or somethin i could use with my gk 700 rb-II. tryin to stay portable as possible these days.

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    You will NOT get a tube sound with only preamp tubes, nor a pedal of any kind.

Go real or go home.

5. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    hehe :smug: you got a point... ive played tons of hybrids but they only have "tube characteristics" and are far from the real deal. if a hybrid or tube preamp wont do it then im sure a simulator (line 6 or somethin) prolly sounds even worse. i wish i could afford a couple roadies. :D

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    interesting,

i used to think that too, until i tried Aguilar's DB750.

it has that weighty, fat tubey feel, but without the saggy, boomy bottom end. *shrug*

still, why not an Aguilar AG500? great amp w/ a sweet overdrive/distortion channel. :cool:

man, i sound like a commercial... :rolleyes:

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you want an overdrive similar to that of the amp you have, check out an old Sunn all tube head; there are some that are about 100 watts I think. If you want to try something new, Traynor makes the YBA-200, there are a few Aggie 359s around still (but I would not recommend that or overdrive), Eden's tube head is pretty light, or maybe that Ampeg 100 watt all tuber.

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    And yet the DB750 & DB659 still don't overdrive like a full tube amp should. Sure it growls, but it doesn't crunch & howl. You need power tubes for that.

I love my Sunn Sceptre, it's rated at 60 watts, but it's louder than alot of 100 watt tube amps, buries some 350 watt solid state amps, but it's not that light (around 45-50lbs), and doesn't have alot of clean headroom. Maybe the Sunn 200s I have will have much more, i'm not sure. But yeah, Sunns can be found pretty cheap if you look (I got my Sceptre for $200, and am getting the 200s for $220!!! :smug: ), they sound great (especially cranked up), and are bulletproof (hell, the Sceptre has a crack in the transformer, and it STILL sounds magnificent!). I just hope the 200s has more clean headroom so I can do a biamp rig with cleaner lows.

Still, in order to get in the same volume territory as the 300PS, I think you should go for a Traynor YBA200. YMMV.

9. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    SWR Interstellar Overdrive Preamp? It doesnt have the All-tube clean tone, but it uses power tubes with the gain control for its overdrive tone. I used one for a couple years and loved the OD, solid clean tone too, but decided to go for a thicker tone from my Aggie db659 and use a pedal for overdrive instead.

There are other good clean tones to be gotten from other tube pres, and for just the overdrive yo cuan use a pedal like a Sansamp (just one suggestion out of a sea of possiblities) some people will count these options out, but thats only because the clean tones wont be the same, but if you really just liking the overdrive, and willing to have a different (but still really nice) clean tone, then you should check out some pedals, or the IOD. the effects forum is a nice place to do some crazy searches and hours of reading ;) )

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Of the tube heads I've tried that have enough power to handle the gigs I see, and which overdrive well, and which seem to be on the lighter side, the two that come to mind are the Eden VT-300A/B and the Mesa Boogie Bass 400/400+. The Trace Elliot Valve series is fairly light weight (and just great heads), but don't really overdrive to a great extent. If you don't need close to 300w, then you have a lot more optoins (the new Traynor seems quite promising). At 100w or less, you have quite the variety, and of the newer heads, the Pignose B-100VH is pretty darn light, but sounds sweet (once you retube it).

Tom.

11. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    What about a small tube guitar amp, remove chassis and put in its own enclosure, with a dummy load? I have an old Ampeg jet guitar amp that can generate some pretty good power tube distortion, and would be pretty light if removed from the combo. Don't know much about dummy loads, but if the amp thinks its driving a speaker, might work. A lot of old, small tube amps out there, like alamo and old ampegs, that could be light weight when removed from combo and pretty cheap.

12. Sansamp BDDI is the closest emulator you'll get (IMO) and that is about as small as they come also - give it a spin before you buy something bigger and more expensive, it might just do the trick...

13. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    The sound of a million california bands should be a good start . A Fender Dual Showman head into a 2-15 cabinet will shake the walls and distort without killing the folks out front.

14. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    (Insert "Episode III Vader scream" here)

15. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    And will be heavy as ****.

16. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    +1 But I am holding out for the Programmable Bass Driver to finally hit the shelves. I love the BDDI and RBI but hate the fact that they are only only channel basically. I'd like to use it's great tone as my main AND overdrive tones.

My only complaint about it is that though you do get basically three channels of Sansamp goodness, I wish that stepping on the active channel instead went to manual mode (where the knobs are actually set) instead of doing nothing. That would give you a fourth channel essentially.

17. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    But it still won't sound like overdriven power tubes.

18. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I've been wanting something like this for YEARS (during my guitar days as well)

I think a compact power tube distortion pedal is in order. It can be done because you can deisgn an output circuit that utilizes both triodes in a 12a_7 and a Class AB fashion (not to mention a single ended design) I think if companies or builders experiment with different types of small tubes - a power tube overdrive pedal can be real. I think the only company that can do it RIGHT NOW is EHX.

But then again you COULD tru to get your hands on an old Hughes and Kettner bassmaster :hyper:

19. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    I've got a (currently dead, needs repair) Crunch Master aka
    Blues Master (same model, different logo depending on where they sold it).

It ain't bad, but when overdriven with a lot of lows, it's a bit farty for my taste. Promising, though.