lighter string tension

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by bobscagliotti, Aug 14, 2005.

1. bobscagliotti

Aug 14, 2005
    am starting to play jazz again and I am looking for a string that is more right hand friendly.....Over the years all the flat wound steel strings were so physically hard to pluck...are there strings of lighter guage or less tension that I could try?............maybe a Plastic G & D..............or solo strings tuned down to orchestral tuning.
    I would appreciate your help
    thanks Bob Scagliotti
  2. PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Eurosonic strings are very low tension, very gut-like. I've used them on my ply engle for two years now and been quite happy with the sound and feel on that bass. Another good choice is pirastro obligatos
  3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Corelli makes a nice string that is thinner in gauge and little lighter tension. They also bow well, which the Eurosonics do not... have you checked out the Newbie Sticky at the top of the Strings Forum?
  4. I started on cheap strings, then after having the neck board shaved and a proper set-up I started using Spiro Med.. That was good, but, then too many gigs made me make the switch to Spiro Solo's, which I liked very much. Then I decided to change back to Spiro. Med., with a David Gage pickup. Which was a nice sound on the bass but a little tuff on the hands when playing swing gigs with a drummer. A few years ago I lucked out and bought a Wilson Pickup system cheap but I A/B'd it and I liked the Gage better. But, I kept it anyway. Now I just put on a set of Spiro Lights and useing them with the Wilson seems to be a perfect set-up for tenson and vol..
    I'll use the Gage when I ain't near a drummer.
    Just remember to keep your head down, they carry sticks.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Spirocore Solos are really nice strings if you want a low tension string with a dark sound. They feel soft and have plenty of volume.

Bassmickeyd, I think that Wilson you have was the one I sold you 4 years ago! I was in my first year of Mohawk at that time...
  6. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    I'd like to add my vote for Jargar Dolces, which were real good to my muscles when I started playing again, with RSI on top of it all! And they bow fantastically