1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lighting the fire again after relocation

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by BryanM, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BryanM

BryanM

Dec 15, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Can anyone here give me an example, whether yourself or a famous example, of a band who reached a moderate, but ultimately not sustainable, level of success in one town/scene, then relocated to another area and achieved sustainable success?

I suppose one example would be the Beatles, having established themselves in Hamburg before returning to Liverpool and then on to the world, and I know touring bands do this often, but I'm trying to think of bands who've successfully moved their base of operations before the tipping point and ultimately went on to achieve a significant level of fame or success.

I ask because my band, after developing a reasonable following in Pittsburgh, PA, recently relocated to the Seattle/Tacoma area and are now sort of starting from square one.

2. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    Metallica. Started in LA during the early hair metal days. Got noticed and had some success but didn't start world domination until they relocated to San Francisco.

3Liter likes this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Heck, probably half the bands from the 80s moved to L.A. to get to the next level.

99.999% of all country acts came from somewhere other than Nashville, but that's where they took off.

Most Muscle Shoals acts weren't from there. Heck, even Aretha went to the next level after leaving the big city to go record in the swamp.

I would say most acts did it.