Lightweight 4 string passive P/J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by afiaowo, Jul 25, 2013.

1. afiaowo

afiaowo

Jan 9, 2006
    Good day all!

I have a problem with my first rib going out of place. It is located just below one’s collarbone. My ten pound beasty is a part, if not the cause of the problem.

Which manufacturers have a history of producing lightweight 4 string passive P/J basses? Preferably at a lower price point!

2. IPA

IPA

May 5, 2010
    Squier Affinity PJ

3. afiaowo

afiaowo

Jan 9, 2006
    That's actually what I have right now! :crying:

I love the bass and have been steadily looking to replace her with another one that is lighter. Those shipped to my local stores are all heavy though.

4. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Fender Aerodyne

0254500506v3_hi-75a6f6890b050907815cfa79b458c295.jpg

comatosedragon likes this.
  5. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    Stagg.

6. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Fender aerodyne
    Fender Precision Lyte
    precision Lyte Deluxe
    Modern player Jag bass
    The Lytes have to be made passive which most do anyway because the factory preamp sucks.

7. afiaowo

afiaowo

Jan 9, 2006
    Thanks guys!

Because of the Fender recommendations I gave them a call. The rep, although he couldn't fill me in completely, thought that Fender Japan had some weight releaved designs.

Being unable to read Japanese do any of you know that range well enough to spot which P basses he might be thinking of? If it came down to it, I could live without the J pickup.

http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/products_precisionbass.html

8. Well, that´s your first rib. Mine is just above my collarbone (I'm kind of a mutant).
    Things get really funky in my situation, my fingertips start feeling weird, then no feeling at all, and three of my basses are VERY heavy.
    No problem with my flamed maple Warwick Streamer, which is a very light P/J, although not passive.

9. afiaowo

afiaowo

Jan 9, 2006
    Your first rib begins below and under your collarbone and comes out from underneath above it. The tingling and numbness comes from your rib being elevated which stretches the tendons that run down your arm. They're being pinched and stretched.

I had the same problem you’ve been having for a loooong time. I recently found a chiropractor that immediately diagnosed the problem. I no longer have tingling or numbness. The only problem I have is from the weight of my bass causing my rib to go out.

I don’t prescribe to the religious aspects of yoga but this article and stretch might help your situation. The article even says, “It can develop from repetitive stress and unhealthy movement patterns, like playing a musical instrument for long hours…” I would also seek out a chiropractor who understands how to adjust your first rib.

I can now sleep without pain and can lift my arms without folding over in pain. ALL tingling and numbness is gone!

http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/2767

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Mmmmm ribs.

11. afiaowo

afiaowo

Jan 9, 2006
    Man that sounds good! :D

12. I really have an extra pair of ribs, it appears on x-rays and scans. It is an anomaly, very weird, but, not at all exclusive.
    And you're right, Yoga is very good. What I do is stretch and relaxation moves, and it comes back to normal.

13. afiaowo

afiaowo

Jan 9, 2006
    Gotcha! You have a cervical rib.

14. +1 on the Aerodyne Precision. Amazing bass! Not in production anymore as far as I know, but they pop up on ebay now and again for $400-500ish I think

15. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Barring a rare P-Bass Aerodyne sighting, I'll throw in one more vote for the Fender Aerodyne Jazz. On the subject of weight, mine is only weighs 8.5lbs and is very nicely balanced (I can balance it on three fingers at the neck joint).

If you're in the States, they're pretty easy to find and order.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JBassAero
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/fender-aerodyne-4-string-jazz-bass
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Aerodyne-4-String-Jazz-Bass-102063146-i1147470.gc

This summer, they're $50 off, brand-new (Fender's yearly summer sale). You can also find more than a few used ones with a little looking. Average used price is between $400 and $600, condition and mods depending.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021