Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lightweight Power Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sidecar666, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Sidecar666

Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    Can anyone suggest a lightweight (25 or less Lbs.) power amp that will put out some decent wattage (500+ @ 4ohms bridged)? I can't seem to find one that isn't a backbreaker!
    I tried a search for topics on here, but came up with nothing.
    Thanks!

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Stewart World 1.2, 1.6, 2.1
    Stewart PA1000, PA1200, PA1400, PA1600
    Peavey DPC1000, DPC1400
    Soundtech PS802
    QSC PLX or Powerlite series
    Crest LT series

3. Hey sidecar. I've been reading the amps forum here for quite a while now, and wondering; how come all of these players are lugging around these heavy amps, when there are so many lightweight alternatives?
    I searched for a long time and finally settled on a Soundtech PS802. 400 watts per side @ 4ohms
    230 watts per side @ 8ohms
    800 watts mono @ 8ohms
    I don't know too much about ohms and bridging since I run bi-amped, but I can tell you that this amp is lightweight and powerful. I haven't regretted my choice at all. It's only 15.8 pounds, single rack space, quiet, and reliable.
    I'm running a BBE BMax through it and this thing really pushes out the sound. I guess I'm in the "less is more" school of thought(space and weight-wise).
    Anyway, I hope that helps.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    +1 :cool:

also, dont count out a good ol' QSC PLX1602 or 1202. only 20+ lbs. with tons of power and then some.

5. Sidecar666

Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    most of the good tube heads the SVT and Mesa amps are big as a truck, but sound really good. I think that's why we all risk back surgery...that large vintage tube sound.
    Thanks for the amp suggestion...my back thanks you also!!!

6. Some might disagree, but you really don't need a tube power section in a bass rig unless you want warm tube distortion. A tube pre and a powerful, light solidstate power section will get you a decent sound.

7. I went out to the Stewart web site, that's where I saw amps capable of delivering up to 7000 watts. What the heck is going on there? How can anyone, short of a welder, use that much power? Just another case of compensation (more better gear will make me look like a better player, even if I'm not)

I bet it isn't light either.

by the way, does anyone know of a single rack space power amp that is less power thanthe Stewart World 600? I'm trying to put together the ultimate in cheap but good sounding rig, and I don't need a ton of power, since it will mainly be used as a church stage monitor. I'd also like it to be bridgeable at 4 ohms, so I can run my 4 ohm speaker with it. The only one I've seen with that capability is a Peavey, and it costs $500 (list). Most "studio monitor amps" don't do four ohms including the Carvin DCM150. Thanks.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Another vote for the QSC PLX line of amps.

9. Walter Woods Ultra... just kiddin' I knew what you meant.
    I have the PLX2402 it's very managable and solid.

10. Stewart makes (or made, they seem to be discontinuing the 200b) two half rack amps that are bridgable to 200 watts at 4 Ohms. The PA 100b and 200b. The PA 100b sells used on ebay for less than $150. I've used mine to do several jazz gigs with my Acme 2X10 and as a practice amp at home.
    stewart audio on ebay

11. Thanks Joe, I'll be sure to check that out.

12. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I got to check-out a Lab Gruppen and it was KILLER!!! It was 1300 watts per side into 8 ohms and only weighs 22 lbs.

13. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Carvin power amps have been redesigned and the DCM1000 and DCM1500 are less heavey than before. now 23lbs. and 26lbs. respectively. 2U rack space and pretty cheap in the US.