1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Line 6 Relay

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by jmceachern36, Jul 18, 2014.

1. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    Does anyone out there have experience with the Line 6 Relay g30 or g50? There looks to be a close to $200 difference. I'm wondering if I need the better one. $200 seems reasonable. $400 is making me think a little. Thanks.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The difference is plastic vs metal, and the battery door on the G30 fails on most owners eventually. It's worth the coin for the G50.

3. jmceachern36

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    Thanks. Just ordered the g50. MF have me $60 off. Seemed worth the extra $.

4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Nice choice. There are lots of satisfied users on this board as well as many touring pros that use the G50. I've had mine for a few years and it's always been rock solid.

5. jmceachern36

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    Got to use the line 6 tonight. Worked great. Had a few drop outs on the first tune but my cell phone was right next to it. Moved the phone and didn't have a problem the rest of the night. No more stepping on and repositioning my chord! I did step on the guitar players chord, however.

6. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    The Line 6 Relay's are awesome. Never had any problems, I use the G30 with no issues. Thanks.

7. jmceachern36

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    Has anyone used theirs on a pedal board? Does it work just as well? I'm not a big pedal guy but I do use an Octaver sometimes. It would be easier to have them next to each other.

8. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    I bought my g50 used (from tb'er e-mac). A lot of money still but I love it. I had to replace the input cable which is pretty common.
    guitarist in the band bought a g30. His has stopped working as of a few months ago and he can't figure out why. That's my .02 dollars

I have mine running into my zoom b3 pedal, works great. I use it for 6 string guitar more often these days :(

9. kbakerde

Jan 24, 2012
    Use my G30 on my board with no issues at all.

10. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I have a G50. Its mounted on a sliding drawer in my rack with my DI pedal. The only issue Ive had with it is the cord from the transmitter. Im on my second one and its time for #3. It doesnt stay clipped in to the pack anymore.

11. jmceachern36

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    I was going to order a cable with a right angle. Is the $18 one on Amazon good or should I buy that more expensive one they sell?

12. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Ive never tried the $18 one. I got mine on eBay it was $30. I would give the $18 one a try though.

13. red_rhino

red_rhino Gold Supporting Member

Try using a wireless pouch attached to your strap. I use the Levy Leather MM4 Wireless Receiver Holder. Inexpensive, versatile, looks good, works great, and takes the strain off the transmitter cord. It also keeps the transmitter a good distance from the cell phone in your pocket.

-Alan

14. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I actually have one but I couldnt get to the on off switch so I havent been using. I just dug it out and modified it for tonight's gig.

15. kbakerde

Jan 24, 2012
    How does this work? Can it attach to any strap, or is it designed for the leather style straps?

16. red_rhino

red_rhino Gold Supporting Member

You can attach this a number of ways. I have the standard leather style strap. The tail piece weaves thru the slots to attach the holder onto the strap. You can also mount perpendicular to the strap. There's also a velcro flap that allows you to mount to a thin guitar strap that has no tail piece.

Here's a couple of pics, front and back, and one with the Line 6 transmitter. I don't wedge the transmitter all the way down in the pouch to where it bottoms out though. The pouch is very stretchy, and made to hold transmitters of various sizes.

IMG_1409. IMG_1410. IMG_1411.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  17. I love my G50, hate playing without it.

Only thing about the G50 is that I think its TA4F is complete crap, and wish they just used a damn jack like the G30. I used to get lots of stuttering as the connection wiggled in its socket; I ended up just super-gluing it in place, and have been much happier since.

18. kbakerde

Jan 24, 2012
    Damn, now I have to invest in a bunch of Levy straps now lol. I really like that. I use the neoprene they sell on MF. Works well too.

19. jmceachern36

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    There's a guy locally that has well priced, lifetime guarantee cables. I asked him if he could make some. He said he can and is getting back on a price. I'll let you guys know how it turns out if you are interested. I've been using his other cables for years.

20. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I have a deal with VF cables. I should probably ask him