1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Line out from my Ashdown into DI box question.

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by triggervision, Apr 27, 2010.

1. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    If I'm playing a larger gig and the soundman insists on his DI box; Can I run from the "line out" of my Ashdown ABM 500 EVO III into his DI box to get the sound from my amp? This is instead of running my dry bass signal through his di box. Since there is not a separate output level control for the line out would I have to have my stage volume really low? Thanks for helping me out.

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The "line out" from your amp is post EQ, and that's the biggest reason the soundman would insist on using his DI box. The EQ that sounds good to you onstage is rarely the same as the EQ he'll need to apply to make you sound good in the PA.

Also, yes if there's no independent level control for the line out then you will either be sending a very loud signal to the PA or a very quiet signal to your speakers.

3. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    Line out level is controlled by the Pre amp level of your bass amp, unless there is also a control on the back.
    Once you set the pre amp level leave it alone and
    adjust volume on stage with master volume.

Amp specs should tell you if EQ is pre line out or post line out.
    If EQ is pre line out then adjusting your EQ drastically will change level going to line out and to mixer.

When doing sound I like to have the bass player adjust tone on the amp and not the bass guitar if possible.

If your tone is not sounding good out front due to an active bass with everything cranked then its really hard to undo it at the mixer.

4. greasybaby

greasybaby

Jun 4, 2010
    I have the same amp. The DI output sounds fantastic and there is a switch that allows it to be pre/post EQ.

5. what he said