Line splitter or stupid?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zerozeddy, May 24, 2005.

1. In an effort to avoid repeat of RSI, I need to reassess my setup and would be grateful for opinions on the following.

I don't think I've heard myself properly when playing live - and I now play in a wind band so I'm sat down by my amp and that's just the way it is. The amp is on a chair in an effort to get it closer to ear level.

I could get a bigger amp (in output not necessarily dimensions!) but I fear the problem will be the same, so I reck I need some form of monitor pointing directly at me. So I'm thinking: get a line splitter of some kind and run 2 amps off it, the main one and a smaller one (15-20W) at 90 degrees to it OR some headphones.

I use the phrase "line splitter" but I've no idea if this is an official term... do such things exist? Are they cheap? Are there ohmage issues? Could I stick headphones straight in or would I need a second amp whatever?

Blah blah blah blah.
  2. Good question.

Some amps let you run another amp off the FX out socket (into the FX return of the 2nd amp), in which case you don't need a "line splitter".

You can create a Y cable to run two amps.

I have a slightly tangental question to do with this: can I run a Y cable from a SansAmp BDDI into two amps?
  3. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    You could use a Y cable, or an FX pedal (tuner??) with two outputs, or perhaps the FX send of your amp.

Andy: Yes, you could. Or maybe the unaffected output?
  4. PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    if you get a small powered monitor you could use the tuner output of an amp as well, or the DI output if the amp has one
  5. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    how could you use one of those powered monitors with a main amp? manufacturers like Ashdown seem to be making some really nice BASS SPECIFIC powered monitors.
    you couldn't use the output sockets on the back of the amp because those are already powered...rite?

i guess you would need a pedal/splitter/di box just for that then...and i think i just answered my own question...hmmm
  6. PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    the speaker outputs on an amp are already powered, so you wouldn't want to put those into a powered monitor speaker. But if an amp has a headphone out or a tuner out or a di, you could run one of those signals into a powered monitor. You could also probably use the effects send of an effects loop. You could also use a splitter or the dual outputs of a sansamp--I've done that with a sansamp bass driver di. You could use a tuner pedal like the boss tu-2, which has two outs. But if I were using a pedal I would want to make sure the pedal had a good power supply--declining battery power could hurt the signal quality

If your amp has a speaker out/extension speaker jack, you could run an unpowered speaker, but you'd have no way to control the volume at the monitor

Also with a powered monitor you could use what's called an A/B box. I have one of these from whirlwind. It's got two switches and three jacks, so you can put one signal into it and two out. But you'd need a powered monitor or as you said, a second small amp. a good practice amp might be just the thing.

I don't think you can divide a speaker output with signal splitter--there would be impedance problems maybe, depending on the ohm rating of your cabs. And you'd lose volume--your mainspeaker would get half the watts and even if it worked, there'd be a big volume drop
  7. Honestly, I don't find that bass amps are directional enough for the problem to be that the amp isn't aimed at your head. Perhaps you just need more stage volume in general? Maybe some different EQ?

In the case that it is an issue of not being aimed at you, have you tried putting it on the floor but propping it up like a wedge?

As others have said, with a two amp setup you wouldn't really need a splitter if you just take a line from the preamp or FX send of one rig and run it to a poweramp in or FX return of another.
  8. But I want the effected signal to go to 2 amps...I'll get a Y cable made up and try it.
  9. Do tuner outputs give a variable signal? I mean does the preamp gain level affect the tuner signal? On all amps?
  10. PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I don't think so--that's why a powered monitor or small second amp would be good
  12. So you would run the tuner out into the preamp stage, not the FX return or power amp in...

Have I understood correctly?
  13. Actually you can, although you have the terminology wrong. When you go to the music store, ask for a [dr evil] "Speaker Cable" [/dr evil]. Plug your amp into the speaker with 2 jacks, take the extra [dr evil] "Speaker Cable" [/dr evil] and plug it into the 2nd jack of the 1st speaker, then into the 2nd speaker. Or if your amp has 2 speaker outputs, plug one into each speaker using 2 [dr evil] "Speaker Cables" [/dr evil]. It should cost you much less than [dr evil] 1 million dollars [/dr evil].

The amp output will split between the 2 speakers proportionally to their impedance.

Randy :D
  14. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Hahahahaha! One speaker cable!!! What do you think this is Dr Evil? 1969?!?

15. PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Umm--this won't solve his problem, smart ass reply to the contrary--he'll have less volume at both cabs and no control over the volume of the monitor. And also, as I said, if the impedance of the first cab is low, then he might get into a situation where the amp won't work--lets' say, for example, the amp has a 4 ohm cab and he adds another 4 ohm cab--will his amp work at two ohms?
  16. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Thats true, but the need to mess around far outweighs the desire to help this guy. :D
  17. While I agree with that in theory, I've certainly never had a problem hearing an 8x10 when I had my head right beside it so I'd assume more volume would help as well.