1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Linux Ubuntu laptop

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Yvon, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm looking for a laptop. A 15" macbook pro would be perfect, but I don't really need the power.

I'm looking for a 14 or 15" laptop that would be 100% linux compatible.
    Dell used to offer linux but it doesn't seem to be available anymore, at least not in Canada.

I would use it for internet only, I have my desktop for more demanding stuff.

Any suggestions?

2. My Dell xps m1550 works pretty well with ubuntu. However, it tends to run rather hot and battery life is less than on Windows 7. Have you looked at netbooks?

3. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Linux is usually pretty compatible with a wide range of computers.

4. You should be able to alter the APCI stuff so that it can wind down the CPU speed when the load is low. I can't remember how, off hand, but I improved the battery life of my linux laptop by doing it.

5. playinpearls

playinpearls

Apr 1, 2008
    Atlanta
    i believe ubuntu has a list on their website of good laptops to load their software on. Search around there. Maybe their forum too.

I have an Acer Aspire 5570z and ubuntu is running great on it. My battery was already toast though, so i can't vouch for the power management..

6. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    I've heard these guys are good, and they ship to Canada. Their preference is PCLinuxOS. Not sure if that's important to you.

http://www.linpc.us/

7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I tried linux on 2 or 3 laptop (all dell) and every time something was not working, wireless, touchpad, sound etc....

8. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I will look into them, just browsed the web site, and it seem pretty nice.

I haven't found any mini laptop with linux installed here.
    Only Xp and 7.

9. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    Linux is a lot like a bass from Musicians friend - usually needs a good setup and a change of strings before it's playable.

eeebuntu is pretty good on the eeepc family of netbooks. My netbook came with the hard drive partitioned into 2 partitions, probably because a lot of people install linux on the other partition. All the hardware works, but I needed to install a patched kernel to get the wireless networking to work, it was pretty easy. I just downloaded the kernel from windows and put it on a thumb drive, and rebooted in linux to grab it from the thumb drive.

10. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I have ubuntu on my laptop. Works much better than windows (I switched because I have a memory challenged laptop).

11. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    I've been running ubuntu for some years now, and i've installed it on a tonne of computers/laptops. They all worked great. My latest install was on my Gateway p6801u and it worked decently well. It took minor tweaks to get the HDMI out working great (but i still could never figure out how to get sound via HDMI...apparently thats a problem with Linux due to legal restrictions of some sort?) But I ended up switching back to windows due to a few key programs. Yes you could install VMWare, and I did, but it still wasnt as smooth. And i found my self starting VMWare everytime..i might as well put w7 back on right.

Aside from probably those system76's, I'd try to find a thinkpad of some sort. My t42 worked great, aka, i had 0 issues (with ubuntu 8.04 LT). The T42 is ancient, but you can find newer thinkpads and save a tonne of money vs macbookpros.

And if I'm not mistaken the new MBP 15 comes with core I5's or I3's. I read somewhere that they run realllly hot, and ubuntu doesn't quite have the best power management system to maybe take care of that overpowering so i'd be careful there, maybe check up on the ubuntu forums which is a great place to ask for help (depending on how your question is worded LOL).

12. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Choose your Linux, then choose your laptop if you're worried about compatibility.

I suggest Jolicloud, if it's for the lighter tasks like browsing, e-mails and IM.

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    There's a tremendous...did I say tremendous?...amount of wishful thinking going on with these lists and the Linux fora in general.

There's also a vast difference between "working" and "working optimally." This is an ongoing problem with Linux drivers, which are typically poorly developed and often have subtle problems that produce mysterious misbehaviors and occasionally can lead to hardware damage. These questions are rarely addressed honestly because of the fervid Linux advocacy problem.

I could run Ubuntu adequately on my old laptop, but it somehow consistently screwed up the CPU fan cycling, making the laptop run hot. Stuff like that's scary.

I'm getting a new laptop in the next week and I may put in a dual-boot system with W7 and Ubuntu v10.4, but I'm still wary.

14. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
  15. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8996729&postcount=121

BTW. My recently acquired alleged Windows 7-only Acer Aspire 5517 is 100% supported by Ubuntu 9.10 (including its CPU fan operation, hard drive spin down & up, sleep, suspend, hibernate, screen dimming, wi-fi, and battery endurance which conforms to Acer's advertised specs).

In the course of buying said notebook no wishful thinking was required, just some research beforehand backed by a pre-purchase test-drive via the Ubuntu Live CD (which included running the command lshw in Terminal to see exactly what the '5517's hardware was comprised of). ;)

If you're thinking of getting a notebook which has an ATI graphics card then be sure to check out AMD/ATI's Graphics Drivers & Software page to ensure that said card is supported. If it isn't then don't buy it.

Overall it's best to stick with a graphics card made by Linux-friendly nVidia (the best option) or Intel.

16. joshmickelson

joshmickelson

Nov 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
    yea, I put linux on an hp netbook and am having a lot of trouble to get the networking to work. (both wireless and the cat5 line)

17. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    Hmm... Could you run sudo lshw in Terminal and post the results here so that we can see which hardware components your HP netbook is comprised of?

Thank you.