Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Little known facts about Aguilar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vanselus, Nov 3, 2003.

1. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    As most of you know, i'm a big time Aguilar fan. Or shall we say... was.

Ok ok, i'm still a big fan. I love the sound of my DB680 and DB728 (although i've also switched to Epifani cabs, and the iAMP 800 is gaining ground). Anyway, my point is simply to inform the TB community of a couple things a few of us (funkyj, nightbass, etc) didn't realize.

The Aguilar's warranty is NON transferrable. That means if you buy used, you're completely screwed. Now I realize it's unrealistic to expect every manufacturer to provide the amazing service that Gary & John of EA do, but NO warranty (even on defective parts) is sad.

To compound the issue, Aguilar does not have any authorized service centers. Here's a quote from Aguilar: "To maintain high quality we try to be directly involved in any work done on our products." For a price. They charge $65/hr (reasonable bench fee) plus shipping both ways. Compare that to Crown (bigger company) who pays shipping both ways.

My DB680 is currently DEAD. Completely dead. Nightbass and I spent 1/2 saturday changing tubes, and nothing. Just the tiniest hint of gain, completely distorted. Aguilar tech support (I called) basically said.... well, you can send it in and pay for it to be fixed - even if it's a manufacturing defect. Other than that, they had no suggestions at all, and as usual, they weren't very nice about it either.

Like I said, I understand that economics prevents companies from fixing everything for free, but when you BOAST a 10 year warranty, you'd think they'd have the common decency to replace a $0.50 defective relay (or whatever).

That's my rant. Hopefully all you out there that THOUGHT the Aguilar warranty was transferrable have been updated. Their warranty has officially put them in the ranks of Fender, SWR, etc...

Feeling high and dry...

2. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    $3000 gear and no support?!?!?!?!? geez, there goes me ever buying aguilar

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I was aware of this. And it was something I had to think about when buying my DB680 used. But since I'm in the NYC area, I guessed my freight and downtime would be less.

From a business sense, I'm not sure if I understand the reasoning of making a warranty non-transferrable.
    edit: I mean obviously it'll end us costing them less money on maintenance when gear is resold and then needs fixing. But I can't think of a justifiable reason for the policy

4. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I don't agree with it... but, I was aware of it. Even before I bought my used DB359. I'll keep my fingers crossed. It is in their FAQ on their website.

5. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    Okay, I'll ask the obvious question. What amp manufacturer's DO have a transferrable warranty?

6. QSC

:D

They warrant the equipment, not the piece of paper that shows the title. The date of mfg is embedded in the serial number.

The reason mentioned above is why I will NEVER own an Aguilar.

7. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Carvin's warranties are transferable as well.

8. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Yeah, I've known about Aguilar's non-transferable warranty for a while. I don't like it either. :meh:

Oddly enough, it didn't stop me from buying my DB728 used. But I think the rest of my rig I'll be buying new.

9. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    11-04-2003 01:50 AM

bgavin

QSC

They warrant the equipment, not the piece of paper that shows the title. The date of mfg is embedded in the serial number.

The reason mentioned above is why I will NEVER own an Aguilar.

---end quote---

Okay, I hear you! Some power amps have great warranties. However all the bass amp companies I know of have really short warranties. Euphonic is one year for the Iamp, and it is non-transferrable! Gallien-Kruger is Two years for heads, and ninety days for cabinets! Aguilar has ten years? I don't get what the problem is. You think the other manufacturers pay shipping on out-of-warranty gear?
    I think you guys are way off base (bass?)

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Ampeg's 5 year warranty is transferrable but the new owner must have the original receipt.:cool:

11. Sorry to hear about your downtime, Vanselus. I was aware of the Aguilar "zero warranty" policy when I bought my used DB680. Here in Canada their warranty wouldn't amount to much anyway.

12. PBass

PBass

Nov 8, 2000
    Euphonic Audio
    EA warranty is now three years and it has always been transferrable.

13. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Walter Woods!!:bassist:

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Crown has a three year transferrable "no-fault" warranty.

That was just another reason why I went with a Crown.

-Mike

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    fender's is with the original reciept, too. 5 years.

16. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    That's not what it says on their web site.

I get it that some brands have transferable warranties. Many don't. Many are shorter than ten years in any case. I checked a few web sites, not everybody-next time, I think I will!

:meh:

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The dudes at BBE also go a long way to keep the customer happy.

I had an excellent experience with them after I bought an older 383 pre. Thanks Judd!

-Mike

18. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I always find it interesting when really expensive gear has poor warranties or weird warranty policies. Case in point...my cheap Crate BX-100 has a 5 year fully transferrable (with original recepit) warranty. My SWR Workingman's 10 - which cost a fair bit more - only had a single year warranty. Not sure if it was transferrable or not. Just something interesting I guess.

19. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Apparently (I just checked), Epifani requires a sales receipt as proof of purchase, and even with that, there's a three year limited warranty. Needless to say, when I bought mine used, I failed to ask the seller to sign over his receipt to me. I've heard that Nick is great to deal with; hopefully if something goes wrong, he'll be cool about fixing it. Sorry about your loss Vanselus... for what it's worth, I made my first visit to basstasters.com a few days ago, and was quite impressed.

20. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I don't understand what the big deal is. It's not like they are keeping their warranty policy secret, or anything. That's one of the risks of buying used.

FWIW, I bought a second GS112 used, and it showed up with cracked corner covers. I called Aguilar, and they shipped me 8 of them out for free.

If I were in your position, I'd take it to a reputable tube amp repair shop in your area. If it's something simple, they should be able to figure it out. That's the beauty of most tube amps. Just because they aren't an authorized repair shop doesn't mean that they can't fix it.

It's not like it'll void the warranty. ;)