1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Little Marcus vs LMK

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kaplan, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Kaplan

Kaplan

Jul 25, 2018
    Germany
    I did a side by side comparison of my old Markbass LMK (that is Little Mark II with two pre-channels, build in italy, 500 W/4Ohm analog :eek: power) and the new Markbass Little Marcus 500. So what’s the difference? I compared the sounds using my ESP ltd b205, LaBella RX strings, 2x Faital 12pr300 and my ears. No recording, sorry folks.

Markbass LMK tone EQ flat: clear, snappy, mid-punchy with growly flavour
    Markbass Little Marcus tone EQ flat: warm, low mid-heavy, restrained high mids, subtle highs

The pics show how you can roughly achieve the Little Marcus sound on LMK and vice versa.

The Little Marcus EQ points are a bit special. You quickly can dial in very nasty honk (MID 500 Hz) and mud (LOW 180 Hz). For now I decided to stay with the old amp, I prefer the snappy sound and overall quality (no flimsy switches and plastic front panel with silly graphic) ...

LMK-EQ. Marcus-EQ.

2. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Very intetesting. That's more difference than I expected.

3. Kaplan

Kaplan

Jul 25, 2018
    Germany
    Yep, it’s a different animal. Not like the Richard Bona signature Ninja, which sounds the same as the usual Little Mark.

4. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I don't know the Little Marcus, but I liked the LMK. That was a great amp. The sound you could get running both channels running together was awesome. Then they went and discontinued it!!!

Markbass have a strange marketing philosophy, they have discontinued more products than the rest of the industry put together!

Dan Robbins and StayLow like this.
  5. Kaplan

Kaplan

Jul 25, 2018
    Germany

Look at this graveyard :eek:
    MARKBASS | Discontinued

6. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I agree, Markbass has disconrinued more stuff than anyone I know, and GOOD stuff at that. I wish I had been able to buy more throughout the years.

I do have an 2008 CMD 121H combo (LMII combo head), a 2011 LMIII head, and two Traveler 151P cabs. The combo is a sweet sounding rig with its compression driver.

Back to the Little Marcus, I suppose they are marketing toward a different kind of player who needs that sound? According to your settings it looks to be a darker sound. Does it fit rock? Or what about jazz or fusion?

StayLow likes this.
  7. Kaplan

Kaplan

Jul 25, 2018
    Germany
    EQ flat is kind of under a blanket sound. The Millerizer puts the blanket away by boosting 5-12 kHz. It’s a thin line between smooth an lifeless (compared to my LMK). I spent 3 hours without volume limitations, solo and play along and decided not to go with it. Too much tweaking to get something. For dialing in rock sounds, get over any inhibitions to open up the high mids and beware of honkiness. Despite this, Little Marcus is more flexible than a Fender Rumble or so.

Russell L likes this.
  8. Luigir

Luigir

Mar 15, 2018
    Thanks for the comparison. I thought them to be just another little mark our redesign.

9. Dan Robbins

Dan Robbins

Mar 19, 2006
    Central CA
    Yep, I don’t like the Marcus heads. At all. Too dark and scooped. I have a LMK and also love it. But, it’s a bit slower, more subby and high-middy, than the 2016 Little Mark Tube 800 Anniversary, that I prefer out of all of them, after trying and owning about 10-12 different Markbass heads over an exhausting (but fun) 2 1/2 year period. Still, the LMK is a keeper, with the two channels and very bright clear sound. My second favorite of all...

Kaplan likes this.