Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

live

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Bassossorus, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Bassossorus

Bassossorus

Oct 21, 2004
    CHICAGO
    Dont really know where to post this:

For a really great live sound that really cuts and does not get lost at all, whats the best way to mix it at the board? Mic (what kind of mic?) the amp and use a DI? Would a 10 inch be the best size speaker to mike? I want a tight and focused sound....is there some special way to eq it at the board? Many thanks! i want to perfect my live sound and be HEARD!

2. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    just DI into the board, no need for a mic....

3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Countryman Type 85 DI to the board.
    AKG D112 miking your cabinet.

4. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Bring enough wattage to the gig to overpower everything. People seem to think I'm joking when I say this, but I do it whenever possible, then run a DI into the board and keep the level balanced. The more bass in the PA, the lower my volume onstage goes.

5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Ooops, just realized you are talking about LIVE, not recording. Just DI to the board.

6. CJK84

CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    Bass,

If you want your bass to be heard in the mix, find out whether other band members might be "trespassing" on the freq range that you'd like to occupy. If such trespassing is occurring, perhaps you can get the fellow member to change the EQing of his or her instrument to help you "cut through".

Personally, I believe that my bass can be heard better at our live shows now that I've recently convinced our electric guitarist to attenuate his low end somewhat - and I've changed nothing about my bass sound or approach. I believe that this has improved our overall sound.

Listen to studio cuts of Metallica when you get the chance. The guitars and drums seem to occupy the entire freq spectrum - there's little room for the bass which makes Cliff's and Jason's lines hard to discern!

I like Metallica's unique brand of metal, but I think it would kind of be a tough gig for a great bassist because there's not much space for you there.

7. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Hire a good engineer for a couple of gigs and pick his/her brains. Get his opinions about the sound of your band and how to improve it.

8. As I've seen around here a few times before, if you can - use a DI and a Mic if the board is gonna have enough inputs. That'll give your sound guys lots to work with. Also good in case a cable or mic fails etc.

9. Hmm

Sorta agree with the responses so far, but...

ensure that you know what you want - to "cut through" sounds to me like you want some mid and treble eq'ing

ensure that your DI is balanced as your input should be.

make sure you have adequate monitoring onstage.

thats all i got...