Livestreaming an "experience"

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by LBS-bass, Jul 11, 2020.

1. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    A friend of mine sent this article today. I thought it was interesting. This is about a band that already has a fairly devoted fan base and pro management, etc.

I can see why it works for them but probably wouldn't work for my broken little band. Still, I think they deserve credit for coming up with ways to make the livestream experience more interesting and compelling for their fans. So many of the livestream shows I've tuned into have not really held my attention.

Thought some of you might find this interesting.

A Connecticut rock band named Goose may have figured out how to ‘tour’ — and make money — during the coronavirus pandemic

LukeSlywalker, Guild B301 and Shalto like this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Very creative!!!

I have tried to watch a livestream event or two. I lasted about ten minutes each time. The first one was in a laptop with headphones. That didn't do anything for me at all. So the second one I went into my jam room, put it up on the 46" TV, and ran the audio through our PA (powered QSC tops and subs). It still didn't do anything for me.

I would have to be a BIG fan of a band to watch all the content your friends put out there that week. But good luck and congrats to them for making it work.

3. Our BL works in I.T. and setup the means to livestream. We play for a few hours on Saturday nights and get a modest audience. We can read messages (usually requests) posted by those who watch on our Facebook page. It's the only chance for us to play and keep ourselves at a proper distance from each other.
    Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 11.10.06.png

LBS-bass and MynameisMe like this.
  4. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    personally, I think local bands live-streaming and begging for money? it's frankly embarrassing...the sound is not good at any rate. I told my band in April don't even think about doing something like that. it's really a desperate attempt to maintain relevance when nobody locally is relevant and won't be again forever. Nobody watches these things. but if a band is doing it for fun, and as a substitute for rehearsing, for "staying sharp", have at it! I wish we could at least rehearse but our lead guitarist will not hear of it (fear). So while I don't watch these "events" on my phone, i don't think anyone loses much by doing it either. local guys I know that have done it mostly express disappointment in both the number of viewers and the amount of donations. and frankly from what I can see on FB, it was at its height in May and the number of acts attempting it is already on the wane.

DirtDog likes this.
  5. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    There are a handful of jazz artists i have been watching regular streams for. The elements that tend to make me stay are good sound, good video quality, and most importantly just good music. When those elements aren't there i don't last long. These artists are also interacting and improvising in the moment, which adds to the appeal and makes me feel like i am watching a special moment rather than a tightly rehearsed, note for note set. These artists are also asking for tips, and getting a significant amount of them as it actually shows folks tipping on the Youtube streams.

LBS-bass and Passinwind like this.
  6. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    The vast majority of streams are like this, which is why I posted this article. Here is a band doing it in a much different and better way, with attention being paid to all the things that generally turn me off about live streamed shows.

7. To me there is no difference between a livestream happening now or watching a You tube vid of a performance from 2015.

Doesn't matter if it is Bob's Party Band or Pink Floyd. A video, recorded or live is not a concert experience. Never will be. Live recordings can be great but being there and being a part of it is generally what most seek in a live performance.

Paying to watch a live feed?
    Probably not

JRA likes this.
  8. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    I am as eager as anyone to play, and have considered streaming as an option, technology challenges not withstanding.

However, I have to confess that when I watch these livestreaming "events," mostly what I feel is sadness. The vital immediate connections and interactions with listeners that is absent here leaves these events simply feeling dreary and sad to me.

DrMole and QORC like this.
  9. Shalto

Shalto

Aug 23, 2019
    Australia
    As noted by the OP, this band seems to have had a decent following to begin with which gives them somewhat of an advantage. It makes sense for them but probably not everyone.

I mentioned in an earlier thread that I think online is the future due to the combo of closing venues, people going out less etc which existed before the virus and has been exacerbated by it.

I'm now thinking about how important sound quality is for online. My original band had this discussion recently when we decide we want to upload somethibg given live performance looks like it's a ways off still. We initially were talking about a live stream. However, the realities of the cost of getting decent audio (decent video seems comparitively cheaper) encouraged us to instead go with the pre recorded audio as it's so important to give people a good mix. We are going to record us playing to the audio, though adding enough edits to make it obvious you a arent hearing live sound for honesty's sake.

If good microphones had made economic sense it would be easier to just play live, but it is a barrier

10. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    "Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European countries." :bored:

11. If nothing else, a lot of people are learning a lot of useful new skills these days
    this bodes very well for the creative arts

12. I think I feel the same way. We may be only a cover band but for some reason our joking with each other and interaction with the live audience increase the fun factor of a gig tenfold.

We have a local city concert series gig coming up in a couple weeks. Normally in good weather it takes place in an outdoor gazebo in the city park on the shore of Lake Superior. Rain dates for this year have been moved to an inside location with no crowd, only the band and the locally hired sound man. The gazebo gigs are beyond fun but I'm not optimistic there will be any fun factor in the live stream option. We'll see how that goes.

rockdoc11 likes this.
  13. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Thanks for posting this.

Very interesting. The "bingo" boardaspect is very clever. Having something tangible in hand to give you a reason to carefully watch every set could easily be addictive.

Sounds like they're very good at using multiple cameras, light shows, etc to make their streamed concerts really feel like a concert.

The article says they cleared $100k, which is great, but also, it's split 5 ways and how often can you replicate this type of experience with the same audience turnout?

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021