1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

LM3 + Punchy, Warm, and Light Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tom Gotsch, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Genz Benz Neo 212T

2. (2) Markbass 121H

3. Markbass NY 122

4. Other (Which you would hopefully tell me (: )

5. No Cab

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Tom Gotsch

Tom Gotsch

Sep 30, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    Hey everyone.
    So here's the deal. I've been wanting to upgrade from my 35 watt 1x10 practice amp for some time now, and after a lot of research, I figure that I want a Little Mark 3 (300/500 watts). However, I can't seem to decide on cabs, and in all the threads I'm seeing about LM3 cabs, the people play loud stuff like metal and rock.
    I personally play jazz, fusion, and a bit of funk. I'm looking for a warm, punchy (low mid sorta thing), and lightweight cab, or a cab that doesn't have a lot of color. I'm not a treble - crazy sort of player like some of today's bassists, but I wouldn't mind a tweeter. I also want it to be easily transportable, so no 4x10s or diagonal 2x12s. I'm also not looking at 1/2x15s. I know that it depends on the brand but I always think that they are too deep and boomy for me. I play a four string fender jazz, although I'm GASing for a Lakland 5. Here's a list of things and cab speaker size/number:

(1) 2x12:
    Vertically stacked speakers
    <55 lbs
    Warm, punchy
    4 ohms
    ~600-800 watts (to be safe)
    <$900

2x12 cabs I'm looking at:
    Genz Benz Neox/2 212T
    Markbass NY 122

(2) 1x12:
    <35 lbs
    8 ohms
    ~350-500 watts (to be safe)
    <$650 for one
    warm, punchy

1x12 cabs I'm looking at:
    Markbass Traveler 121H

(1) 2x10 (might be hard to find a good single one):
    4 ohms
    ~600-800 watts
    warm, punchy
    <50 lbs
    Vertically stacked

I am not looking at brands like: Bergantino (Sorry Munji), Barefaced, Avatar (I have a hard time finding them), and other super boutique cabs bc of the cost.

Thank you! Suggestions are welcome, and advice on my current list is great!

2. Tom Gotsch

Tom Gotsch

Sep 30, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    Also, if anyone has any threads they think I should check out, I would really appreciate it!
    Sorry, also, if this thread has been done before and I just haven't seen it. :/

3. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    For that head a nice Markbass 104HF will be impactful and fairly light too .

For me the biggest issue with that head is how it does with 8 ohms it just doesn't have any umph at 8 ohms

4. Tom Gotsch

Tom Gotsch

Sep 30, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    I'm not looking at the 104 because of how wide it is. I would be taking public transportation.
    And about the head I'm trying to go for 4 ohms, but that's interesting at 8 ohms, like when I might only need 1 1x12. Does it just not have headroom? Or is it really quiet?

Red Planet likes this.
  5. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    The head is absolutely awesome into 4 Ohms buy into an 8 ohm load it gets really squishy squishy squishy it loses its Authority and low in punch it's a great head I would suggest an Italian made one and I would suggest only using it into a 4-ohm load

Maybe look at the markbass 210 that's 4 Ohms it's a pretty rare cab but they do make them

Tom Gotsch likes this.
  6. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    TL/DR:
    In the "2x12" category, check out the Mike Arnopol MAS 112 (I know it says 112, but in terms of form and function, think "super 2x12" -- mine stomps most 2x12s I've played) and the Audiokinesis Hathor 2x12. (~$1K and $1100, respectively)

In the "closer to a 2x12 than a 1x12" category, check out the MAS 28 -- it might be sufficient for you on its own (and would best some conventional 2x12s), but could be combined with a MAS 18 if needed/desired. (~$800)

In the "1x12" category, check out the AK Hathor 1203. (~$650)

---
    ---
    I have a few recommendations for you -- a couple are just over your target price-range (but, IMO, worth it) bought new and a couple are within it.

First, if you are in Chicago, you should absolutely give Mike Arnopol a call and ask about a MAS 112 -- though technically a 1x12, in terms of size, shape, and output you should think of it as a potent, vertical "super 2x12". If you find one used, look for a 4 Ohm version with the custom Eminence driver to make the most of your Little Mark III. Mike has recently put together a more compact version of that cab, though I don't believe it's on his website, yet. New, these are about $1K.

My second recommendation would be an Audiokinesis Hathor 2x12. I base this on my experience with the 1x12 Hathor cab (Hathor 1203). The 2x12 is about $1100, the 1203 about $650, last I looked.

Going smaller, you have the aforementioned Hathor 1203 and a MAS 28 from Mike Arnopol. I've played my 1203 next to a stack of two MAS 18s (1x8s, not eighteens) -- the two 18s were louder/bigger sounding than the single 1203 (I assume the 28 would be the same), but might not be quite as loud/big as a "super" 2x12 like the Hathor or the MAS 112. The (very compact) MAS 28 might be one of Mike's best bang-for-the-buck/schlep cabs, at ~$800 and with the output it has at a weight of 35 pounds. (The 1203 is only about 25 pounds.)

Relative to the cabs you mentioned, I've played a stack of the Markbass 12s (the smaller NY cabs, not the bigger "H") and a few of the Genz 12s (including a NeoX 212T that I borrowed for a bit) and my MAS 112 outperforms both by significant margins in terms of maximum output (given enough power -- mine is an 8 Ohm cab), articulation, solidity of low end, etc., particularly when pushed. Similarly, the little Hathor cab is, for my tastes, better in almost every way than the NY series 1x12 Markbass cabs.

I've not played the 121H Markbass cab, though it is reputed to have a better low end and hold together better at volume than the little NY cabs. Be aware that it is a significantly bigger box. Re. the NY 122, be aware that there are 4 and 8 Ohm versions (I think the "Ninja" version is 8 Ohms, but check before you buy).

If you can find a good deal on a used/NOS NX2 cab, I thought those were improvements (a little more full and robust sounding) over the original NeoX series. Their second series of combo cabs (the 12s that came with the Shuttle 6.2) were, likewise, pretty nice and, IMO, an audible improvement over the first series.

Re. "tweets" and high-end, the Hathor cabs and the MAS 28 don't employ a conventional tweeter but a 3" or 4" Faital mid/high driver (The MAS 112 employs several of the 4" version of that driver, but same idea.) These go high enough to pop harmonics, etc., with great clarity and I like this implementation more than most woofer+tweeter cabs. The MAS cabs have optional tweeters in addition to these (I have one, with an on/off switch, on my MAS 112), but, given what you say about the sound you're looking for, I think you would be happy without.

The MAS cabs are better than any others I've played for dealing with busy mixes and difficult rooms (and carrying the room, when necessary, without having to be super loud or fighting with the PA). They have some unique technical features that are worth reading up on, if you're into that. They're also really good at staying dynamic at higher volumes.

The Hathor 1203 is a more conventionally designed cab (though has some cool options with its voicing switches and port plug(s)). It's compact, light, thoughtfully configured, well-voiced to work in a variety of mixes, and a breeze to carry. It doesn't do some of the crazy stuff that my MAS 112 does, but it punches above its weight and is my favorite compact 12" cab so far, while the MAS 112 (which, again, I think of as a 2x12) is probably my all-around favorite cab I've owned for playing bigger/louder stuff.

There's a big Audiokinesis thread and a couple of MAS threads that would be worth checking out.

Other people will have cabs they like and there are some other good, used options, if you're amenable to that, but those are some that I have experience with and like.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    Haroldo likes this.
  7. twinfallsbass

twinfallsbass Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    I don't have an LMIII, but I do have an LMII. Sounds super warm and punchy through my 2x12 Ampeg PF112LE's and 2x15 115HE's. Infact, I don't know what cab wouldn't make the LM series of amps sound punchy

funkinbottom and Tom Gotsch like this.
  8. Those GB 212 NEO Cabs are darn good, especially for the $$ 2nd hand!
    Mesa Boogie have just released new neo cabs, and a vertical 212 is in that line

9. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Gs112's, I prefer taming some of the mid forward LM sound.

10. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Addendum: OP, I am guilty of missing your penultimate line about "not looking at other super-boutique cabs because of the cost." Don't know if you consider MAS and AK "super-boutique" -- I guess they are, in terms of being made by one guy and their relative rarity compared to Markbass, Ampeg, et. al, but, in terms of cost, they are pretty reasonable -- not far off from new Markbass cabs (and less than some upscale, mass-produced brands) and, IMO, much better performance and sound. I'd still urge looking into them, but I respect if that's not the route you want to go.

In the Markbass cabs, I would look at the cabs with an adjustable horn (with attenuator) before those with a piezo tweeter. Those will also tend to be the bigger, heavier cabs in their line, but should have better low end than the compact cabs.

If covering anything loudish, I would want to run the LMIII at 4 Ohms, whether using one, fairly efficient cab or two smaller ones.

Al Kraft, Haroldo and Tom Gotsch like this.
  11. I've used my LM3 for around 10 years witha host of cabs. A pair of single 12s is a great small rig. For lightweight Bergantino AE112s worked well but the pairing of HT112ER and EX112ER is better. However if you want light and small footprint a pair NY112P are very good. I lent mine to a 5 piece rock band last night and they went nice and low and loud with a Stingray.

12. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Seriously man try one of these TC Electronic 210 cabs. Light and extremely punchy with lots of tight lowend. You won't be sorry

amp.

Tom Gotsch likes this.
  13. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    Npunk42 and Tom Gotsch like this.
  14. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    The Markbass Ninja 121H made me sell my Bergantinos.

Tom Gotsch likes this.
  15. Tom Gotsch

Tom Gotsch

Sep 30, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks a lot, that was super informative!
    I will definitely check out some of those MAS cabs.
    One thing about the Hathor, I love the idea of them, and I've looked at them before, but I'm having a hard time finding ones for sale. (Same thing with GB ugh)

16. Tom Gotsch

Tom Gotsch

Sep 30, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    Woah! When did those get released? It's too bad they're so expensive.

17. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    What?? The 2x12 is only $1199. Quite a bit less than Bergantino or Barefaced, and about the same as Aguilar. Quite impressive considering what you get.

rodl2005 likes this.
  18. REV

REV

Jun 18, 2006
    I've used a LMII for about 10 years. Mostly I play it through a Euphonic Audio Wizzy 12. I play in places from
    100-500 people and the one cabinet always come through. For awhile I thought I needed two and I tried it for a couple of gigs but it was overkill so I sold the other cab. The Wizzy 12 is light and easy to move and most of all it sounds great.

Haroldo and Tom Gotsch like this.
  19. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    You'd be surprised how well the 121H cabs sound. I have the 121H combo. It's speaker compartment isn't quite the size a the 121H separate cab, but it puts out an astonishingly full sound for its size. The separate 121H would be even fuller

woodyng2 and Tom Gotsch like this.
  20. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    The Hathors come up periodically, though not super-often. If you can't find a used one, a new one is among the more reasonably priced "boutique" cabs at $650. The later Genz cabs that I mentioned are among the nicer commercial offerings I've tried (and the new Genzler cabs I would imagine are better, if anything), but the Kappalite woofer (along with some other considerations, including Duke's very nice crossovers) puts the Hathor a step above, for my use and taste (there's also a "tall" version of the cab, with a little more volume and, thus, a little deeper low end).

You might also check this out (no affiliation with the seller): For Sale - MAS Bodai 112 - PRICE DROP

I've only ever tried those in a store -- they weren't my favorite cabs then (take that with a grain of salt, considering the circumstances), but that's a crazy price for a decent 2x12, assuming all is good with it otherwise.