1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LMII + Avatar B210 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ninerfan, Sep 25, 2008.

1. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    I know, I have been searching, but I'm looking for this specific set-up.
    Recently we moved out of our lock-out and reformed the band. Now we are doing the hourly thing and it looks like it will be that way for a while. While we had the lockout I got used to playing my SVT-II ---> NV610. Now I'm back to bringing my BA115 and I'm not too happy with it. It's a great little amp, but definately leaves me wanting more.
    So I'm considering getting a LMII as a lightweight, portable head as well as a back up. I've been searching looking for a cab to pair with it and think that a Avatar B210 (4 ohm) may be the way to go. I want a small, light, portable, inexpensive cab to pair with the LMII. I definately want a small cab because I have the NV610 that isn't going anywhere. Portable and lightweight for fast and easy load in and out. And inexpensive because, well because inexpensive is good.
    Soooooooo, finally to my question. I've read the posts raving about how the LMII can cop a good "clean" SVT tone and I have a Fulltone Bassdrive and a Polish love on the way for a little dirt. Will the Avatar pair well with the LMII? Will it give me a similar tone to my SVT and Berg? Will the 210 leave me wanting more? Any other opinions on this pairing?

Thanks, you guys always give me great advice!

2. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    Nothing?

Not even a "use the search function" or "just man up and take the SVT"?

3. Nike, dude.

just do it.

4. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    It's not a bad setup. I used a 2x10 and 1x12 w/ a LMII for a while but often used the 2x10 on its own. The 1x12 definitey adds more bass to the setup but the 2x10 gives you more full range so you cut through the mix better. I also think that Avatars speakers produce more bottom then most other speakers of the same size so I think you'd be fine with that setup.

5. acubass

acubass

Oct 10, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    I don't see how it could sound bad. Definately get the LMII. The avatar has a great return policy if you don't like it. I'm debating the same thing. I amgoing to get a LMII as well. I would like to get the traveler 102P but at 4 ohms its $730. a little pricey for me. The avatars on the other hand are priced very nicely.

Go for it, if you don't like it send it back.

6. avatar speakers are custom made, have a longer throw, and therefor more bottom end.

seriously though, I've heard the LMII and a fulltone make a good SVT sound. Avatar cabs will make it sound good regardless.

7. All I can say is that for the budget conscious (aren't we all in these times) Avatar cabs pair up well with any head.

I don't know about how they stack up against your SVT or Berg since I have no experience with those.

I've used an Avatar B210NEO (8ohm) with GK700RBII, LMII, NeoPak3.5, Fender Bassman (all tube), Ashdown Mag300, SWR Baby Blue II and as an extension to my Fender Bassman 25 practice combo. It sounded great in all applications.

I've since whittled my rig down to the NeoPak and Baby Blue II but the Avatar has been a constant and I recently bought another one (super deal AvatarSpeakers had on Ebay) in 4ohms.

8. Refer to this thread here:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=404726
    I have a LMII w/Avatar B212 NEO as well - essentially trying to do the same thing you are.
    The LMII alone (with the VPF & VLE knobs) get pretty close - of course it's never going to be a perfect recreation of an SVT + Fridge, but...I've got a VT Bass pedal coming and that should add in the dirt.
    Per the thread referenced above, it's a common solution to the weight+bulk+tube maintenance quandry.

9. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    The Avatar cabs are voiced similarly to the Markbass cabs so that might work out well for you. Also, remember that Avatar will not accept returns on any cabs unless they're carpet covered. If you get tolex or Line X, you have to keep them. I ran into this personally and only after fighting with them for a while did they agree to take the cabs back. They have since modified their website to specifically clarify this policy.

10. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    I am thinking of the B210 as a stand alone, that's why I want a 4 ohm to get all the power out of the LMII. If I need more speakers I would take the NV610 and the SVT. I'm looking for a rig for small to medium size gigs and practice and keeping the SVT rig for the times when only a SVT will do.:D

11. acubass

acubass

Oct 10, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    It's cool they sound similar but the deciding factor is size and weight.

The Avatar is 44lbs and is 18x24.5x16.5,
    whereas the 102p is 33lbs and 13x24x17.

This is why I'm probabily going to get a UL112, the pricing is somehwere in the middle I think.

12. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    Markbass 102P

GC PRICE:
    $521.99 - $629.99

I could almost get 2 Avatars for that price.

13. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    I am planning on getting that exact same rig (LMII and 4-ohm B210) eventually. Let us know how it holds up against a loud drummer, please.

--Bomb :bassist:

14. I love my Markbass 2x10 combo ....but if I could choose a head and cab I might choose one twelve only or a 15" to accompany my 10's...nice feel the air push against you when you play.

15. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    If I need to push air I have my NV610 that is easier to move than 2 cabs. I'm looking for something I can move in 1 trip. Backpack with head, pedals and H2. Cab in 1 hand and bass in the other.
    I play with 2 guitars, a keyboard and loud drummer. I'm hoping this set up will work at around 50 lbs. vs. the 200 lbs. I currently use.

16. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Both of these are always implied. :)

17. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    If you want to shell out the dough you might consider the epi UL310 47LBS, and the epi UL 115 43LBS. Both awesome sounding, easy to move cabs. If you use a dolly/handcart, the gear is alot easier to move around.

18. headtrip762

headtrip762

Feb 13, 2008
    NEPA
    Does anyone have experience with the LMII and an avatar b212neo cab 4ohm?

19. ^^I have a B212 neo 4ohm and I have a LM2 that is sitting on the UPS truck "in transit", so I can't answer your question from experience. But, there have been a couple threads specifically about the LM2 and B212.

Edit: Here's one

20. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    If you've seen my thread, a 210 would probably not be enough. :<