1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

LMII discontinued??........yep

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by g4string, Apr 15, 2009.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
  2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
  3. Hmmmmm,all the combos say "updated". Does that mean the new combos will have a LM3 in them?

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
  5. deekay911

deekay911 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    More likely is that the market will become saturated with used units at low prices as people dump them to upgrade to the LMIII....I hope :)

6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    First the DB750 and now the LMII... Interesting times indeed.

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

:confused: The LMIII is a minor update to the LMII. It has the same power, same preamp, etc., with just a couple of improvements (more fully featured DI, a slight change to the bass and treble frequency centers, and an updated power amp safety limiter). So, the LMII is not being discontinued, it's being updated to the LMIII!

If anything, since the LMIII is being priced, I believe, at the same price as the LMII ($599), my guess is the value of the LMII, like most other 'earlier' models, will decline. However, since there isn't enough different in the LMIII to IMO result in people selling their LMII's to get the III's, it should be a minor issue.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I always saw the LMII as a way for Markbass to get their foot in the door to a wide American audience. It was a small, light, powerful, great-sounding amp that was way underpriced. They probably didn't make a lot of profit per unit. Seemed to me they were keeping it out and at such a low price until they became a known brand, and it worked. I didn't think it would be out for as long as it has already.

9. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Very interesting -- hope places like MF will start blowing out the LMII so I can grab another. I'm happy with it as-is and could always use a backup when they're that small/light/inexpensive.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Don't say "again" to me, buddy- my post posted simultaneous to yours! :mad: :D

11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

:D Typing at the same time! Deleted that post.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Again...er...sorry :bag:

It doesn't matter how similar the III is to the II. The II is what Markbass made their name with and it's a classic now. It isn't going to happen for a long time, but if you can keep it working with original parts, I think 20 years from now it will be a minor collector's item. And 20 years from now we'll be discussing minute points about why the II is more collectable than the III. Has nothing to do at all with the quality.

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I'm all fer it.

Then all the amp weenies will think the original 'old' LMII's have some kind of tone mojo since they're discontinued and will convince themselves that they sound better than the new ones, and a collector's craze will begin. It will be the Tube Screamer of the bass amp world.

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I think it's a good thing as the LMII prices will go down making them a bit more affordable for us 'poor' guys who desire one. My radar is now on!

15. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I have an original vintage LMII for sale for $699 if anyone wants it:D It's WAY better than the new one... it has black knobs!

Seriously though, I'm pumped that the LM800Tube I ordered a few days ago is now listed as 'A' stock on the GC internal intranet system, which I was told means that the units are now shipping. Whoohoo!

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Exactly. That's what I'm sayin'.

"There just is a special something to those old LMII units..you know? I mean, while the LMIII is a great amp, the circuitry they added messed up the architecture...its just not the same...the old ones have sweeter, juicier tone..."

17. HA HA:p Yeah & NONE of the so- called 'handy' but not needed 'bells & whistles' . :hyper:

18. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I just raised the price to $749, but I'll include the vintage manual at no extra charge:D

19. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    I need to know about this when you get it. The LM Tubes look awesome.

20. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

You know me... I'll put up a thread:bassist: I assume it will be a week or two yet.