1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

LMII w/ AMPEG 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by karam001, Sep 26, 2008.

1. karam001

karam001

Sep 5, 2008
    hey watsup guys my first post just wondering wat you gys thought of running the LMII with an ampeg 8x10. I have the head already which i love and i tried it out at GC and it sounded really clean, really boomy. I play in a reggae/rock/dub band so fat bass is definetely a must. We play pretty big venues to fairly decent size ones and the 6x10 i had just wasn't cuttin it.

2. if it works for you, do it.

im sure its a good image, seeing that LM on top of a fridge!

dont see any dire problems with that setup

3. karam001

karam001

Sep 5, 2008
    haha ya forshure it kinda looks a lil wierd but that sound that comes out is booming.thanks for the help

4. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    For some reason i prefer 2 4x10 cab instead of 1 8x10 cab

5. If you like the sound of the Ampeg 8x10 then do it. Your LMII will be a champ with any cabinet.

6. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Actually I'm not convinced that the Ampeg 8x10 will give you what you want. For reggae / dub you want really want lots of fat, low bass right? This means that you'll want pretty good fundamental response down to your lowest notes (40 Hz for open E, 30 Hz for the B if you have a 5 or 6'er). Looking at the Ampeg specs for their 810AV and 810E show a -3dB point at 58Hz, and a -10 dB point at 40 Hz:

http://www.ampeg.com/products/classic/svt810av/index.html

http://www.ampeg.com/products/classic/svt810e/index.html

You could make up for that "somewhat" with EQ but you'll lose a lot of headroom down there. I'd look at other options as well, paying attention to the low frequency cutoff.

7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Get a 1-15 and a 1-18 and you' be in reggae heaven. I love reggae fwiw!

8. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    I agree with bassist, if you already have the 810 you're stuck, but an 18 and 15 combo would really make it boom.. I used to run a pair of 18's in an old VOX stack and then a couple 15's in an ARB folded horn setup. FInd a pair of JBL D140's and plug em into a horn you'll boom like no tomorrow. BOB

9. karam001

karam001

Sep 5, 2008
    ya i totally gess wat you guys are saying but our style is definetely not the old school roots reggae sound which then i toatlly agree with paying mroe attention to the lows but our sound is more of a sublime, slighty stoopid, expendables, mixed in with some bad brains type punk/dub mix.check out the myspace at www.myspace.com/elementsofearth

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    This is where you can't rely solely on specs. I know that's what the specs say, but my ears tell me a whole different story. Yeah, it's not like an HLF cab, but the low end is there. Robbie Shakespeare uses SVT cabs. He's got plenty of low end.

11. dude, i use a LM2 with an ampeg 410 and i get so much power, u really need 8 of em?

12. 6x10 wasnt cutting it? You weren't running through a system?

13. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    nice thread ! i have been knocking around using a shuttle 6.0 with my ampeg 810 or my ashdown 810 ...... good input allbeit a different amp ....

14. Seems kind of contradictory doesn't it? The LMII was designed with portability in mind, which is completely negated by bringing a fridge along...heh.

That said, it sounds like a solid setup to me.

15. bass.player

bass.player

May 30, 2006
    Belgium
    I can't believe a 610 did'nt cut it. Did you mean the 610hlf?

16. Sifl

Sifl

May 14, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I love the sound of LMII through my Ampeg 810. Sounds flippin' sweet.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    There are substitutes for big amps, but there is no substitute for big speaker cabs.

ThePez and 9mmMike like this.
  18. ^true that, but an SVT is heavy even for a big cab, isn't it?

I found it kind of funny...

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It's probably the second heaviest 810 next to Basson.

20. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I would think something like a smaller Cab such as a Schroder 2x12R would be a great mach for a smaller amp like that. I agree ther aint no sunbstitute for 8 10's but not sure that amp is going to push it hard enough to get all the goods out of it. Maybe same with the Schroeder though sense it is rated at 1,000 watts.

I actually found as some suggested to me it is better to have more power than the cab can handle and turn the amp down than have less and run the amp wide open.

The 4 ohm SVT 4X10HLF might give you the goods and be smaller.

I just went to a Preamp/Power Amp set up and ended up using an amp that had way more power than the cab is rated for then set the amp bridged mono at 4 ohms for 2600 watts into and 800 watt cab. Then I set the volume on the Poweramp at a little over half way and set the Master on the Preamp the same. I get absolutely no peaks/clipping that way and way more headroom. I started out with an 850 watt power amp into this cab and it peaked all the dang time. With more power and and less Volume Level you get way more headroom.

Dont know if any of this helps you.

I'm sure the LMII into the Fridge sounds great.