1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

LMTube

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Apr 22, 2009.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    So let me get this straight...

The LMTube has alot of features that the LMII does not including...

Pre/Post switch, ground lift for the DI, DI level control, mute switch and a change in the EQ points (definitely for the better... love that the low is now set at 60hz). Of course, it also has the tube which can be blended and even omitted.

Also, it has the class a/b poweramp. So essentially it will sound exactly like an LMII with the tube blend set at zero?

AND... its essentially now a two channel amp since you can now plug in a 1/4" into the updated XLR.

AND... it looks much better. Less orange, more black!

All this and it will only be about $100 more than the LMII/LMIII?

If all this is true, I'm buying. :bassist:

[​IMG]

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah I have to admit, of all of MB's offerings so far, this is the one that has made me sit up and take the most notice. Not that there was anything particularly wrong with the others, but this one (at least on paper) is just so right.

3. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    I think that's the one that's going to make me regret buying the F1...

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Duh...like you needed to post for us to know you'd hop on it ;)

5. theophilus762

theophilus762 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    I think I read that this is not the case, but I could be completely wrong. If the LMTube truly sounds like the LMII (or III now) with the tube blend to be 0, then oh man...i'm in trouble!

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

It should. The LMTube800 is a different design, but the LMTube should be identical to the LMIII with the tube blend set 100% to solid state.

7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well, uh... I havent bought anything in months now. :cool:

8. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    I'm gonig to get one of these. They look perfect!

Edit: Is definitely only around $100 more? Is so, that's great!

9. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Ow... GAS. I'm not sure I like the new EQ points though. Then again the bass EQ point on my bass is already at 40Hz, sooooo...
    Where do I sign up?

10. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Looks like a winner.
    Pull to mute?
    May as well just turn it all the way down; like the idea of NOT touching control knobs to mute.
    Like it would have killed them to add another push switch?
    I know picky, picky.
    Here's to hoping for killer tone.

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Well, the hope would be that the mute switch also affects the DI, which I'm assuming wouldn't be off when the master was down all the way.

the LMtube800 is very appealing...

12. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    so whats the difference between the lm tube and lm tube 800?

13. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Lm Tube 800 has 800 watts and has some design differences that I don't know anything about :)

14. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's class D like the SD800 or the F1, not class A/B like the rest of the LM line.

15. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Per the above, the LM800 and LMTube800 are class D amps versus the class A/B of the LMIII and LMTube.

Until we here them, it's hard to say what the difference in tone will be, since the LMII, the F1 and the SD800 all sound different enough that you would easily have a clear favorite.

16. theophilus762

theophilus762 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    right, which will result in inherent tonal differences.

depending on how the LMTube800 sounds though, if it sounds pretty close to the LMII and F1, then I'll definitely be picking one up!

17. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 The first thing I will try to evaluate and post up when mine arrives is to answer the question:

'Is it a super powerful LMTube, or is it an SD800 with a tube in a smaller box'? Either way, that will kill, but will IMO appeal to different players depending on the answer to that question.

18. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'd be very appreciative if you could also offer some comparisons to specific other tube preamps as a way of describing the flavor of the tube pre.

19. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I'll give it a shot. I thought I might get mine a touch earlier by putting in that pre order. However, it seems like mine will just show up when they all start to ship. Since Detroit is not on the 'first receive' list of GC's (things seem to lag here a bit), I assume there will be quite a few reviews by the time I weigh in.

As you can tell, I'm pretty pumped about the spec, so I hope it sounds cool! I'm thinking (and hoping) this might be the ultimate Bergantino AE410 head, since the SD800 sounded so darn good with that cab.