1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Located a BUZZ, now what to do ?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Inconnu, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Hi !

I'll start with a
    FOREWORD (but you can skip it):
    I'm new to upright basses. I've played electric bass for 15 years over and always dreamed of an upright. The dream came true 2 months ago but I've been having a few problems. I bought the bass from a well renouned luthier around here who offers a good service though... But I all ready had to replace the tail wire (it buzzed) and now I get this other problem... plus the bass doesn't fit in my car so getting it to the luthier is a bit of a problem... Now to the question...

ACTUAL QUESTION (important part):
    I located a buzz coming from the top of the bass, around the F-hole of the bass side, near the hole but at the side of the bridge (not near the end of the body). Physically, the bass looks new all around. The buzzing can be heard on certain notes only, specially open strings... when the body vibrates more. The buzzing just started after I had my vibrating tailwire replaced by a tail "cable". It seems that there's more lows transfered to the bass since the cable is there, which is a good thing for the notes who are not buzzing, but an issue for the buzzing ones.

Now I don't know what to do about it, or what to think about that situation. Since I'm new to the double bass world... I even wondered if I'm not playing a little too hard on it ! Really, your input would help !!!

Thanks !

Edit: I tried putting a piece of fabric between the tail"cable" and the body and it seems to help a bit... Maybe foam would really help... Still, should I worry about the buzzing ? I don't want the bass auto-destruct itself... it took me a while to save the money you know !