1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Long lasting bright tone?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Guz2, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Guz2

Guz2

Apr 18, 2009
    I really like the sound of new strings, but it wears off quite quickly. Does anyone know of any strings that have a really long lasting "new" sound?

Also, what sort of strings would be best for getting an Alex Wester-type tone? I know his sound has more to do with electronics and amps etc than strings but still...

Thanks in advance

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Dean Markley Blue steel are extra bright sounding yet still have plenty of crack of thunder lows. When they mellow out a bit from use, initial breakin, there still as bright as most strings new and brighter then some of those. They will diff keep you away from dull sound for a long time. Lol.

3. Guz2

Guz2

Apr 18, 2009
  4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Number of sets purchased and the price each.

5. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Elixirs.

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I've recently migrated back to SS strings.

On my different basses I currently have:
    HiBeams
    ProSteels
    SIT Power Steels (more abrasive feeling)
    EB Coated
    DR LoRiders

7. eligos36

eligos36

Jan 6, 2009
    I tried all those listed above but have found no strings that sound bright for as long as DR Marcus Miller High Beams. They age well, too, and sound like flat wounds after about 4 months.

8. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    I see a lot of these threads about strings, and most people just post what kind of strings they use, or their favorite brands. IME, the brand has little to do with it, but you can't get a brighter sound than the combination of stainless steel rounds with round cores. I haven't ever had a problem with these staying bright. The last set I had on my AC stayed on for about 4 years. The reason I changed them was because they had begun to get pits on the undersides from hitting the frets. All I did was keep my hands clean, and clean the strings often. If you have to know what brand they were, they were Ken Smiths, but I think any stainless steel string with round cores will give similar results.

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Blue Steels.

10. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

Apr 10, 2010
    This has been my experience as well. They just don't die.

11. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Well, all the ones I mentioned that are currently on my basses were put on about the same time. My goal was to get my own guage on which I liked and which seemed to last the longest.

12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Surprisingly the Hartke`s I have on my StingRay have been going for about 3 months now. They`ve only just begun to dull out after their initial settling in period.

13. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    What`s your conclusion so far?