1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

looking at a rig setup- thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fretless19, Aug 3, 2012.

1. fretless19

fretless19

Jun 4, 2012
    im looking at running a GK MB200 ultralight through an eden D410T thoughts?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My thoughts are that people who like that combination will say they like it, and those who don't won't.

:D

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    but yeah, it should work fine. do you already own both pieces?

4. +10000000 :)

5. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    IMO it makes more sense to use a more powerful head with a smaller cab. Why haul a 100lb cab with a 200 watt head???? That head will clip before the cab reaches it's full volume potential. There are a million ways to configure a rig, but I'd go with a fEarful 15/6 cab and a head that pushes 500 watts into 8 Ohms (GK MB800). That will give you the same volume as the 410, with more low end extension and clearer response throughout the spectrum (at half the weight), which will be great to send your fretless growl into the crowd.

If you are hell bent on the MB200 or already own it, then I guess the 410 is a good way to milk all you can from it. If you don't need the volume of the 410, then a pair of 12s will be a whole lot easier to haul and you can use 1 for small stuff. On the other hand, if you are married to the 410 and you don't need it's full volume, the MB200 will be fine. Depends on what your volume needs are.

6. +30000000 :D

7. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    That's deep! :)

8. It makes sense if you are getting a good price. But in any event, the mis-match in capability between the head and the cab pretty much means this is an incremental set-up.

One way to think about it is figuring out what your next upgrade will be. It's a good fit if you think you'll be upgrading the head down the road, and keeping it as a backup. It's a really bad fit if you have your heart set on a 810 in the near future, and the 410 is just a temporary fix until you get what you want. This is all assuming you have a limited budget. If you have a lot of $$$ to burn, then go for it.

9. fretless19

fretless19

Jun 4, 2012
    i apologize for the vaguery of the first post,
    the eden i have already, got it for a steal too.. now i'm looking for the head. i don't need the full power at this point, so i was thinking a lower-powered head, but after looking through amp forum info, i'm hearing this might be a bad idea.
    no- i'm looking for a head with a good eq and some umph in the mids

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The only time it's a bad idea is if your head runs out of juice before your cab does and you need more. This is a rare occasion for me, though, and I have been known to happily sport low wattage amps on my gigs, often as low as 25w. So if it's doing the job for you, save yourself a little money. But if you think you'll need more, maybe consider getting a 500w head instead of a 200w head as the price on them isn't so much higher as to consider them deal breakers. Honestly, though, the volume difference between 200 and 500w isn't a huge difference...it's mostly manifested as headroom.