1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

looking at options for my 6 string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by AB Nate, Dec 23, 2016.

1. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    Merry Christmas All!

I'm looking for a set of strings that will be magic on my 6 string.
    Prerequisites :
    - I want the B-E tapered at the peep (ring) end Like dingwall and Paysons.

-Also, a bonus feature would be in black. Not mandatory but it would look soooo nice.

-I'd prefer the B be 130 max.

-leaning towards SS But I'd give nickels a go too.

-clean, bright and aggressive

Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you all and have a great holiday season.

Nate

2. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Kalium Strings.

Mystic Michael likes this.
  3. GHS Progressives

4. tsheldon

tsheldon

Jun 20, 2005
    Western New York
    While you didn't state the scale length you need the string that popped into my head was the SR2000 Dean Markley. If you piece together a set from singles the D'Addario Flex Steels might fit also.

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Nate, I play a 6 too, and I've been experimenting with different sets of strings for the past couple of years, but the sound I like is a bit towards opposite end of the spectrum from what you're after.

I tried a set of LaBella Super Steps ages ago, and as I recall, what I heard out of them matches your description, - other than the strings being black.

I recommend you take a look at Bass Strings Online's website. There's a lot of great info there, and it's broken down into catagories, along with photos and descriptions of the different types of strings available. And our "Slappinfunk" is the store's Owner, and besides being one of the most knowledgeable people about strings I've met, he's also a really good guy, and his prices can't be beat.

I hope this helps

6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Poking around BSO's website, GHS make a "Contact Core Super Steels" set that might be what you're looking for, although not only are the B and E strings tapered, but the A and D strings are as well. I think LaBella's Super Steps are that way too, if I remember correctly.

Nevertheless, my guess is both are worth looking into.

Take care!

7. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    Thanks for all the info guys.

I'm waiting to hear back from Kalium right now and In the mean time have found a single B d addario pro steel locally.

Lol. Right now I have the pro steel on with a set of stringjoy nickels. It really is kinda fun for compare the sound of Streep vs nickel back to back and it does confirm my preference for SS.

Quick mentions:
    The bass is 35" scale Roscoe.
    I would be good if there was taper on other strings as well I believe it's just a prerequisite for the B. I'm trying to steal just a bit more action out of this bass.

Poon. I'll look into those Ghs as my next step if Kalium doesn't pan out. Thanks

Thanks again everyone and merry Christmas.

Arthur U. Poon likes this.