1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a bass...help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shamus_MG, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Shamus_MG

Shamus_MG

Jul 23, 2012
    Minnesota
    I'm sorta new to the bass world and I'm searching for a bass right now. I want one that allows you to slap and pop easily and the price range is pretty low ($300 or less). I am forming a band with my friends and one of the band member let me borrow his Fender Squire Jaguar which is what I'm currently using. My search has been narrowed down to an LTD B-154 and an Ibanez GSR-200 (because of the popping). I also know that Fender has some good basses. Right now it's hard to decide and don't even know if I'm looking at the right basses. If someone could help me with my search that would be great.

2. Stormer

Stormer

Jul 24, 2012
    The ibanez is a decent bass but for that money i would look in the classifieds. You may come across a real bargain mim fender.
    But go to a shop and try a few styles before settling on one. Its all about what feels best for you.

3. .BumeStik.

.BumeStik.

Jul 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    If your looking for something in that Price range, and are wanting to buy NEW, I would really suggest looking at the various Squier Jazz Bass Models. They are GREAT Basses for the $$$ and will give you the sounds your looking for. Otherwise, I agree with Stormer and look for a smokin' deal in the Classifieds. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

4. Shamus_MG

Shamus_MG

Jul 23, 2012
    Minnesota
    Thanks for your inputs. How does the Squier Jazz Bass differ from the Squier Jaguar? My friend offered to sell me his Jaguar with an amp for around $275. The models seem pretty much the same so I'm wondering if this deal would be worth it.

5. Lon86

Lon86

Jan 21, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Offer him $200...

6. Shamus_MG

Shamus_MG

Jul 23, 2012
    Minnesota
    I don't think I would haggle with him mainly 'cause we're in the same band and he's pretty much set in stone on the price range

7. Shamus_MG

Shamus_MG

Jul 23, 2012
    Minnesota
    ok, I've decided to go with a Washburn XB120. To be honest, I've never even heard of Washburn before today but it acquires everything I want. And I will be purchasing the bass for $80 :) Thanks for the inputs!